Re: Curious, anyone interested in going back to the original purpose of this sit

    Message 1 of 20 , May 8 9:55 AM
      charles,

      thanks for the information. I thought the idea of charging people was wrong, but it is sincerely believed by one of the people pushing for the hammer symbol and she gets quite upset when I say other wise.

      I will like to see how the VA actually handles the first case of eathr a heaten or a Druid. That will be the test of the reality.

      --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "Charles P. Arnold" <charlesparnold@...> wrote:

      > Another urban myth and absolutely not true and can not happen for two simple reasons. You can't put items on VA headstones and the VA can't charge for headstones.
      >

      > Believe it or not, a vet can arrange this in advance of their death but, under the new laws, it is all arranged by individuals rather than organizations; which may cuase problems in the future. What I ask is that if anyone has applied for either a hemmer (or whatever) or an awen and they have had problems, post the information here so that it can be sorted out.

      > Charles

    • David
      Message 2 of 20 , May 12 7:28 PM
        ("Block 12 indicates the emblem of belief desired. If not desired, please check "None". The approved emblems of belief are listed on the back of the form with a picture of those most frequently requested; pictures of all others may be viewed on our website at www.cem.va.gov.").

        To be clear, those instructions are on how to complete the form for a headstone/marker, etc. As you quoted, if a symbol is not on the list, check "None" This does not say anything about how to request a NEW emblem be added to the list. Only what to check to get a marker with no symbol if yours is not on the list.

        That instruction to request a new emblem be added to the list is still on hold at the VA. Until they approve the new instruction for adding emblems to the list, everybody is on hold irregardless of the emblem in question. When they put the process to add emblems on hold, there were two other groups awaiting approval - both Christian groups.

        My question might not have been clear enough. Not trying to be contrary - just wanting to make sure we all understand the accurate status of the process to add new emblems.

        Thanks,
        David

        Message 3 of 20 , May 13 6:04 AM
          --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Blackwell" <myrddin@...> wrote:

          > charles,
          >
          > thanks for the information. I thought the idea of charging people was wrong, but it is sincerely believed by one of the people pushing for the hammer symbol and she gets quite upset when I say other wise.

          Suggest to her that she take the time to ask the VA directly. A headstone is a guaranteed benefit and it is free. If you want to use a symbol already approved, that, too, is free. If you want to include a symbol that is not approved there is only one consequence, the VA will not supply such a headstone. And if the grave is in a federal or most state veterans cemeteries, such a stone will not be allowed to be placed.

          > I will like to see how the VA actually handles the first case of eathr a heaten or a Druid. That will be the test of the reality.

          That is exactly what it will be and we are ALL waiting to see if they will follow through as promised. And if they don't, I, for one, do not plan to start at the beginning all over again but to take this struggle up exactly where I left off with the opening salvo being public protests and demonstrations at the VA, action brought through my local VFW Post and LOTS more.

          Charles