Re: Chris's surgery...

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2009
      Connie,

      I will head back to Tucson early next week to have
      the doctors measure the change.

      Amazing all the little dips in parking lots and bumps
      on floors that I never noticed before. I talked to one
      person who has a walker at the town musuem and
      asked about some of the things I was feeling and
      found out they are pretty normal on anyone new to
      using a walker. And then the hip pads to protect
      from breaking hip bones if I do fall.

      Things to learn about. I was thinking of some
      accesories just to break that frail human being
      effect walkers cause. Maybe a couple of semi-
      automatics welded to the frame to give it a more
      macho look. It would not be important if they
      worked or not, just want to imporve the image
      of people in walkers. [Grin] Unfortunately that
      might scare mostly retired folk population here.
      Darn, but it would look so cool. [Grin]

      Of course back in the days when I drove an old
      VW beetle I wanted a crome plated M 60 machine
      gun that would track. It would not have to have
      worked, just the sight of that as a hood ornament
      and traffic would part like Moses and the Red Sea.

      I am finishing up the newsletter, was just waiting
      for one of the cartoons. When I got it I found out
      the cartoonist's business is going under. So this
      recession is hurting a lot of the small Pagan
      businesses. My non Pagan friends are reporting
      same with their businesses. I hate to see people's
      hard work going down the drain.

      --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, Connie <qitty@...> wrote:

      > Hello Christopher,
      >
      > Glad there's no pain! Hope you are all recovered by now too.
      >
      > My mom had a walker after her stroke and I was a amazed at how 'sticky' the feet
      were... really made the thing stable... stable enough to use as a gymnastics horse or
      something, it was really surprising to me since it seemed like such a light, flimsy,
      aluminum-foldy thing! But, mom really needed that extreme stability... she did not get
      tennis balls. I had to be careful when handling it though... catch on the floor and wheee-
      hahhhh! right over the handle bars! (ok, it never actually took me out, but not for lack of
      trying...)

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2009
        Re: [Pagan-Headstone-Campaign] Re: Chris's surgery...

        Hello Christopher,

        CB> I will head back to Tucson early next week to have

        CB> the doctors measure the change.

        Fingers crossed and many prayers that all is good :-) It is amazing what can be done with modern eye surgery... I am amazed, and grateful, every day I wake up and do not have to put on glasses anymore. I had Lasik about 2 years ago, after wearing thick(!) glasses since 6yo. I have a little halo affect at night when driving. Esp. when my eyes are dry, and may need to get glasses just for that... but what an incredible miracle! Pretty cool to go through the surgery too. Lay down on the table... couldn't see the ceiling... zap zap... look up, and I can see the texture in the ceiling tiles... until my eyes started watering and the need to heal kicked in... science is a beautiful thing.

        And then the hip pads to protect

        CB> from breaking hip bones if I do fall.

        Never heard of that... what a good idea. As clumsy as I am, I think I'll need hip pads the size of inner tubes to stay safe as I get older ;-)

        CB> Things to learn about. I was thinking of some

        CB> accesories just to break that frail human being

        CB> effect walkers cause.

        After hauling around my mom's walker, I do not look at anyone who can use a walker as frail. Frail is a wheelchair with someone pushing it because the rider cannot. Ok, I know, some folks are... my mom was, but I had my eyes opened. A walker is great for balance... the strength can be there, but balance is very important. Get off balance and that's all she wrote. I have stong legs, I walk, I hike, I lift and play with heavy children (my 8yo is as tall as my shoulder now, but I can still heave him over my shoulder and run off with him) but sometimes  I overdo the knees. I've been told I need reconstructive surgery, but it would be major surgery, taking bones from the lower leg to rebuild the knee. I'm too busy. So, I pay attention. If my knees are feeling weak, I'll carry a cane or walking stick. I always use handrails. If I can keep the balance, I'm ok. I cannot regain it once it is tipped though... once I pass a certain point with my knees, it's hello ground.

        Anyway, my impression of a walker is about balance, not frailty!

        CB> Maybe a couple of semi-

        CB> automatics welded to the frame to give it a more

        CB> macho look. It would not be important if they

        CB> worked or not, just want to imporve the image

        CB> of people in walkers. [Grin] Unfortunately that

        CB> might scare mostly retired folk population here.

        CB> Darn, but it would look so cool. [Grin]

        :-D Maybe just a few NRA stickers? Weld on a few interesting bits of wiring and randomly flashing red diodes for a terminator look?

        CB> Of course back in the days when I drove an old

        CB> VW beetle I wanted a crome plated M 60 machine

        CB> gun that would track. It would not have to have

        CB> worked, just the sight of that as a hood ornament

        CB> and traffic would part like Moses and the Red Sea.

        I used to have an Isuzu Amigo... it was an awesome little truck. I always said I needed an Amigo-mounted grenade launcher. But, after having served at Ft Campbell and watching the Apache choppers with the tracking weapon systems.. oh yea... I can see what you mean.

        Here in Cairo though, I've been dreaming of an Explorer-mounted robotic arm with a claw... something to just pick crap up and deposit it to the side of the road... antique broken down taxis, suicidal pedestrians, donkeys, etc...

        CB> I am finishing up the newsletter, was just waiting

        CB> for one of the cartoons. When I got it I found out

        CB> the cartoonist's business is going under. So this

        CB> recession is hurting a lot of the small Pagan

        CB> businesses. My non Pagan friends are reporting

        CB> same with their businesses. I hate to see people's

        CB> hard work going down the drain.

        The recession is hurting a lot of people. Some people deserved it with the foolish way they were spending beyond their means... I mean, I don't like to see anyone getting hurt, but there was a lot of people being very irresponsible. If you can't afford it, or don't even NEED it, don't BUY (risk) it. And it seemed the whole economy seemed to have that 'whatever.. i want it, I'll take two, put it on my tab' attitude, and then when things got bad, as obviously had to happen, everyone feels the pain. Even those who saved and spent carefully.

        --

        :-) Connie

        http://whaleears.blogspot.com/

        mailto:qitty@...