Back from eye operation/ sort of

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2009
      Angie and all,

      Information piecemeal, or good news bad news.

      Well I am finally back home. I had expected to be
      back a week ago Saturday. I had not expected this
      bit of eye surgery to become some sort of saga. It
      was to be simple surgery and come home three days
      afterward, so I scheduled for a lost week.

      Now the operation was a bit more than I had been
      told about and done in a operating room. I was
      awake and could hear if not always understand the
      doctors. fortunately I could not see nor feel them
      putting in the probes. That was a relief as I blink for
      eye drops. Meanwhile they cut out some tissue and
      then put a bubble of gas in to push the retina back
      where it belongs and stitiched up the eye.

      It was after the operation and with my eye patch I
      learned a new piece of information. Recovery was
      going to require that I lay on my belly fifty minutes
      out of each hour. So hence a stay in the hospital
      doing just that up till Monday morning but then you
      can't check out on a holiday so out this morning.
      Pretty boring stay, could not watch TV or read and
      when I had to walk anywhere had to keep my face
      faced down to the floor. I know a lot more about
      the VA hospitals floor than I ever wanted to know.
      Hard to even carry on a conversation when you
      can't look at the person's face.

      I will have to go back in early February for a check
      up and I have both medication to put on my eye
      which will keep my eye blurry and then there is this
      bubble of gas that the eye will have to absorb before
      I see what results in sight we got out of all this. So I
      may be a bit slower posting for awhile until I use of
      all the medication on the eyeball and get this gas
      bubble inside of my eye absorbed and gone.

      Geezers are stuborn old coots for a reason. It is the
      only way they get anything done at all. Now I have
      about a thousand e-mails to sort through. Thanks
      goodness for the delete button.