Re: [Pagan-Headstone-Campaign] voting warning

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30 4:41 PM
      At 04:31 PM 9/30/2008, you wrote:
      >Someone passed this along to me, thought it was important enough to
      >pass along to all of you.
      >Mama Cat
      >

      >This info is true:
      >

      >When you go to vote
      >

      >Please, please, please advise everyone you know that they absolutely can
      >
      >NOT go to the polls wearing any Obama (or whomever you are voting for)
      >
      >shirts, pins, hats, etc. It is AGAINST THE LAW and will be grounds to
      >
      >have the polling officials turn you away. This is electioneering. If
      >
      >you've been
      >

      >observant you probably have noticed the signs around your polling
      >place stating
      >

      >that no one can campaign within X feet of the polls.
      >
      >They are banking on us being overly excited and not being aware of this
      >
      >long standing law that you can bet will be ENFORCED THIS YEAR!!!!!
      >

      >They are banking that if you are turned away, you will not go home and
      >
      >change your clothes and return to the polls to vote. Please just don't
      >
      >wear ANY gear of any sorts to the polls! Please share this information
      >
      >with as many people as you can. If you are already aware of this, please
      >
      >don't take it as insulting your intelligence.
      >

      >Have a great day and see you at the polls on November 4th.

      More or less correct (if written in an alarmist manner), depending on
      your local rules. Better safe and all that :-).

      http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/electioneering.asp

      Morgan /|\

      "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist,
      fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic
      criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
      people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." --Robert
      Heinlein
      http://www.cafepress.com/dosomethingvote
    • Rev. Liz
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008
        I found these snippets in the following article which is quite
        insightful...

        http://fightthesmears.com/articles/19/tshirtrumor

        "It is true that in some states, wearing campaign gear is not allowed
        at the polls — but no matter what, your vote cannot be taken away from
        you. At most you will have to take off a button or put a jacket over a
        T-shirt."

        "Since different states have different rules, you should direct any
        questions to your state's secretary of state or county election
        officials. Election officials in Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and North
        Carolina have already issued statements reaffirming that wearing
        campaign gear will not keep anyone from voting."

        -Liz.