Re: Will VA Okay Awen?

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
      --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher
      Blackwell" <myrddin@...> wrote:

      > Will VA Okay Awen?
      > By Christopher Blackwell
      >
      > Organizing Pagans is like trying to herd cats.
      >
      > The paperwork has been in place for two years, but the VA
      > says it can't process the request until there's a need for the
      > symbol – i.e. a dead Druid soldier or veteran.

      That is in keeping with the latest set of VA regulations regarding
      headstones.

      > So when a Druid widow or widower applies, will the VA grant
      > the Awen as a symbol of belief? We still don't know. What more
      > might the Druids do to insure success?

      There then needs to be an example. Are there any deceased druids who
      served honorably in any branch of the US military? I do believe that
      this would include the US Merchant Marines during WWII.

      > There must be proof on file that Druids want the Awen. Proof like
      > copies of letters from Druid service personnel and vets stating
      > that they have the Awen as their emblem of belief and want
      > the VA to add it to the list of emblems used on memorial markers.

      The fact that there is an application on file starts to set the
      example. After that it is a matter of establishing personal need.

      > There also needs to be a copy of a letter to each Druid veteran's
      > next of kin that they want the Awen on their VA-supplied
      > headstone.

      Such a letter might best be set up on WitchVox or some of the hard
      copy magazines.

      > Without these letters on file it will be impossible to prove what
      > the veteran wanted, giving the VA an excuse to deny the request.
      > Copies of those letters are needed as soon as possible to help
      > push the VA into taking action.

      Then get one written and posted on WitchVox so that people can
      download and send to the VA.

      > Ellen E. Hopman (Order of the Whiteoak - Ord na Darach Gile), one
      > of the Druids that has led the push for the acceptance of the Awen,
      > has asked for each Druid vet to send copies of these letters to her
      > at EE Hopman POB 219, Amherst, MA 01004.

      They should send a COPY of their request to the VA to her. In fact,
      requests to the VA should be sent via registered mail and then a
      photocopy of the signed letter, along with a photocopy of the mail
      registration receipt can be sent to her. It also wouldn't hurt if
      Ellen rejoined this group to get more info out.