    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2008

      This was shared in another group and I am passing it along:

      Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 13:12:00 -0400 (EDT)

      To: circletimes@...

      From: Circle Times <circletimes@...>

      Subject: [circletimes] Veteran Pentacle Grave Markers across the USA

      One year ago today, US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)-issued veteran

      grave markers with Pentacles were dedicated in a public ceremony at Circle

      Cemetery, a national Pagan cemetery, located in the heart of Circle

      Sanctuary Nature Preserve near Barneveld, Wisconsin.

      In observance of Memorial Day this year, we are releasing information

      about Pentacle veteran grave markers the VA has issued in the past year

      since the Veteran Pentacle Quest victory.

      This news was compiled from Freedom of Information Act documents obtained

      from the VA by Selena Fox of Circle Sanctuary just prior to Beltane, May

      1, 2008. The following is excerpted and adapted from her report, which

      will be published in the next issue of CIRCLE magazine, which goes to

      press in early June.

      In the year since adding the Pentacle to its list of emblems, the VA has

      issued 26 veteran grave markers with Pentacles. Two dozen are for

      deceased veterans, and of these, one is for a veteran and his wife. The

      other two markers are interfaith with the Pentacle signifying the Wiccan

      faith of wives buried with their veteran husbands in federal cemeteries.

      SERVICE: Wiccan and Pagan veterans honored by Pentacle grave markers

      include those who served in the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps.

      Their combined range of service has spanned seven decades. The majority

      of the markers are for war veterans, including two who served in World War

      II, three who served in the Korean War, and seven who served in the

      Vietnam War.

      WAR DEATHS: Some of the markers are for those who have died in 21st

      century wars. In addition to Sgt. Stewart, a Desert Storm veteran who was

      killed in action in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and whose

      widow, Roberta Stewart, spoke out publicly as part of the Veteran Pentacle

      Quest, there are markers for six troops who were killed in Iraq as part of

      Operation Iraqi Freedom, and another for a soldier who had served both in

      the Afghanistan and Iraq wars and who died of war-related injuries after

      returning home.

      CEMETERIES: The 26 Pentacle markers are in 17 cemeteries across the United

      States. 16 of the markers are in national cemeteries, five of which are

      in Arlington National Cemetery. One is in a state veterans cemetery. Nine

      are in private cemeteries, four of which are at Circle Cemetery in

      STATES: There are VA-issued Pentacle markers in 14 states: California,

      Colorado, Florida, Maine, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York,

      North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

      On this Memorial Day, we honor the lives and service of Wiccan and other

      Pagan veterans who have died.

      We give thanks for the Pentacle markers that have been issued by the VA

      thus far.

      And, we send out the wish that the VA will finally finish revising its

      protocols and procedures for adding additional emblems of belief to its

      list of those it will include on the veteran grave markers it issues so

      that symbols of other branches of Paganism can be included as well as

      symbols of other religions.

      Liberty and Justice for All.

      Circle Times: Memorial Day, Monday, May 26, 2008