Re: [Pagan-Headstone-Campaign] Re: House of Representatives vs The U.S. Constitution

  • MAHADA COUGAR
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 18, 2007
      When 847IH got to the floor, Congress agreed to suspend the rules and pass the Resolution.  The vote was an overwhelming 372 to 9!  It crossed party lines and few raised any objections to it.

      Let me state that resolutions do not become law.  This was not a bill before Congress, which would eventually go to the Senate Floor and then to the President to sign.  There are currently no laws, which specifically outlaw Paganism.  But a resolution expresses the sentiments of our national leaders and what they feel is important for the present and the future.

      First, HRes847IH sets the stage for a theocracy, by defining a philosophy.  With as many people in the House of Representatives voting in favor of the resolution and so few voting against it, it sends two messages to the people of the US:

      1.We don’t have to follow the Constitution in anything we pass.  We have control and do not have to answer to our constituents.

      2. We believe that Christianity should be the national religion and we are building a basis for this theocracy.

      Am I paranoid?  Paranoia is defined as having an irrational or unfounded fear.  This is not paranoia.  The stage was being set as far back as Lyndon Johnson.  As a senator in 1954, he proposed certain changes to the IRS code, which affected non-profit organizations, such that they may not be allowed to engage in political activity, nor can they take an active political stance. This included churches and ministers.  By enacting such a law Johnson’s amendment made all religious organizations responsible to the Federal Government for tax purposes.  In 2002, Congress voted NOT to rescind what has been dubbed Johnson’s Gag Order.  Remember, he was a Democrat.  The move toward re-establishing this country as a theocracy has nothing to do with party lines.  With the sentiments toward Christianity expressed in recent years by Reagan, Bush Sr. and the current president the foundation is being built for a theocracy.    I believe that the next steps will look something like this:

      1. Christian Holidays will become National Holidays.  Don’t expect a lot of flack over this one.  What it will mean to the common citizen is that they’ll get paid for not working on those days, no matter what their religious affiliation (sound familiar?).

      2. The word ‘Religion’ will be re-defined for legal purposes.  They’re going to have to re-define the word so that laws can be enacted and upheld in court. It will mean re-interpreting the First Amendment of the Constitution.  The word ‘religion’ will have to include only monotheistic terminology and lean solely in the direction of Judeo-Christianity.  This will give a legal nod toward Islam, but that’s where the definition will end.

      3. No church or minister outside the State sanctioned religion(s) will be afforded protection under the First Amendment.  This means that any 501(c)3 organization with a religious foundation can have their status revoked if they do not convert.

      Will we as Pagans be rousted from our beds in the middle of the night and shipped off to concentration camps?  Will we be forced to wear Pentacle armbands in public?  I doubt it.  It’s more likely that it will be allowable to ask one’s religious affiliation on a job application and to deny employment based on that alone.

      Will we be forced to join Christian churches and keep our true religion a secret? Well, England, Spain and Germany have all done this, at one time or another, to the Jews.  It worked there for awhile.

      Will we be denied education? That one, too, is possible.  But I’m stretching and looking too far out in the possible future.  But, remember that IF no 501(c)3 religious organization can be recognized outside of Christianity, it means that no Pagan schools will be able to grant state recognized education.

      This resolution puts Paganism at risk, politically and legally.  The fact that we have little or no voice with our own elected officials does not bode well for us.

      What are our options?
      1. Buckle.  Take the hit and go underground.  Change our names and have our children baptized in the nearest Methodist Church.  Now THAT’S paranoid.
      2. Sue.  But I guaranty that any lawsuit will not change the sentiments of the members of Congress.  I also guaranty that such a suit will be tied up in court longer than Pentacle Rights was.
      3. Invite your national leaders to your Circles, Sabbats and events.  And continue to invite them.  Somewhere down the line one of them will have the courage to come and sit down with us.  Let your representatives know that their own constituents are of a different faith than what they assume.  Let them know that their stance on religious issues has taken a nasty turn, where the First Amendment is concerned.  Make them aware that we are civic-minded and community-conscious.  Let them know that we are caring people.  And be civil about it.
      Sincerely,
      Rev Bradley Murphey

      gypsy <gypsyroserebel@...> wrote:
      If it is not a law. Why did they spend so much time on it? This looks
      like some folks, that call themselves christian, disrespecting others.
      It is most definitly a waste of my tax dollars. Think how much time
      and effert went into this resolution. How much of that was payed for
      with tax dollars from folks who would rather their money went elsewhere?

      Maybe they are just breaking the ground for a new project.

      peace and light to all
      gypsy

    • Eric Roberts
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 18, 2007

        A resolution is more of a statement…just like the resolutions against the war in Iraq many cities have made.  It has no force of law to do anything other than make a statement.  But yes…you are right…it is a colossal waste of time and tax dollars. The answer to your question…100% of it was paid for by tax dollars that could have been put to a better purpose.

        Eric