Re: [Pagan-Headstone-Campaign] Still awaiting info

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007
      At 01:34 PM 10/31/2007, you wrote:
      >We are still awaiting any information that anyone would care to share
      >on two topics:
      >
      >1. What is happening with the joint application for the Awen made by
      >the Druids?

      This may be stuff you already know, but unless someone in one of
      these projects is on this list they may not see your post so I'm
      sharing what I found on a search:

      Druid Veteran Headstone Project (latest info appears to be Dec 2006)
      http://www.keltria.org/Projects/DruidVeterans.htm

      Druid's Awen Quest (dated June 25, 2007)
      http://www.dragonskeepfarm.com/headstone/index.htm

      Thread on the OBOD Message Board
      Druid Vets Headstone Project - US (lastest info 27 Sep 2007)
      http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24509

      I think the most definitive one, though, is:

      ACTION - Mabon 2007 - Article 3
      Update on the Druid Vets Headstone Project by Ellen Evert Hopman
      http://aren.org/newsletter/2007-mabon/action.php?num=3

      >At this point we are all waiting for a Druid vet to pass over. We
      >can't do a thing until we have a deceased Druid and their family or
      >representatives are ready, willing, and able to fight for the Awen
      >symbol, which all major U.S. Druid Orders voted on after I and the
      >Order of Whiteoak (www.whiteoakdruids.org) organized a collection of
      >symbols and a vote.

      So it looks like the Awen Quest is on hold, unless they don't need to
      wait for a vet to cross over to move that process along.

      FTR, I'm not affiliated with any of these, just passing along what I
      could find (while avoiding housework *g*).

      Slan,
      Morgan /|\
      **********************************
      The three foundations of Druidism:
      Peace, Love, Justice.
      **********************************
      http://silver-gateway.com/grove/index.html
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2007
        Last information I got from Ellen Hopman, of White Oak said
        the last word she had from the VA was they would now need
        a deceased Druid, or his family, requesting the Awen before
        anything more could be done.

        --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "Charles P. Arnold"
        <charlesparnold@...> wrote:

        > 1. What is happening with the joint application for the Awen made by
        > the Druids?

        Here was my article on the AWEN Quest in the Samhain issue of ACTION.

        A Short History of the Awen Quest
        By Christopher Blackwell

        In 2004 Ellen Evert Hopman (Saille), Co-Chief Order of the Whiteoak
        (Ord na Darach Gile), began the project to come up with a possible
        symbol for use on VA headstones for Druid vets. A variety of possible
        symbols were considered, including variations such as oak leaves ,
        oak leaf clusters, oak leaves and acorns, and a torque and two versions
        of the Awen symbol, one with just three lines and one with three lines
        and three dots. Craig Melia, the current Co-Chief of Whiteoak, did the
        graphics.

        The symbols were sent out to all the major Druid Orders in the U.S. for
        a vote. After many months, the verdict came back for the simple
        three-line Awen symbol. Once that was decided each of the heads of
        the Orders sent letters of support for the symbol to petition of the VA
        for acceptance.

        Among the Orders taking part were:
        Ancient Order of Druids in America ( AODA) http://www.aoda.org/,
        Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship (ADF) http://www.adf.org/core/,
        Henge of Keltria (HoK) http://www.keltria.org/,
        Reformed Druids of North America (RDNA) http://www.geocities.com/mikerdna/, and
        The Order of Whiteoak - Ord na Darach Gile (OoWO). http://www.whiteoakdruids.org/

        Ancient Order of Druids in America sent two letters. A short letter, on
        Oct. 18, 2004, to the Veterans Administration asking for the Awen
        with a brief description of  their Order which goes back to 1912. They
        sent a second, longer letter, on Dec. 4 2005, giving a more detailed
        description of their Order.

        Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship sent its first letter, on Nov.17,
        2004, to the VA's National Cemetery Administration requesting the
        Awen and giving a brief description of their Order. Their second letter
        on April 10, 2006, repeated this information and request.

        Henge of Keltria  sent one letter on Oct. 2004 to the National
        Cemetery Administration section of the VA briefly describing their
        Order and requesting the Awen. On April 10, 2006, they sent a
        second request for the Awen.

        Reformed Druids of North America sent their first letter to VA on Jan.
        21, 2005. Their second letter sent, on Nov. 28, 2005, was a five page
        information letter requested of them by the VA for its evaluation of
        the Order.

        The Order of Whiteoak sent a series of letters to the VA on Nov. 25.
        2004, Dec. 27 2004, Feb. 2, 2005, Jun. 1, 2005, Nov. 28, 2005, and
        Aug. 11, 2006.

        Two of the letters back from the VA said they were still revising their
        procedures and nothing could be done until the new procedures were
        in place. This was the same excuse that had been given to Wiccans.

        Finally on Nov. 5 2005, the VA said they had revised  their procedure
        and sent a booklet, but required that  the Order resend all of their
        information.

        Hopman said the last word she had from the VA was they would now
        need a deceased Druid, or his family, requesting the Awen before
        anything more could be done.

        Hopman said she created a information packet for military Druids to
        use so that they would have all the requested information  available
        for the VA when they needed a vet's headstone.

        I wish to thank Skip Ellison for use of this information from his webpage,
        The Druid's Awen Quest - A History of Actions.
        http://www.dragonskeepfarm.com/headstone/