Re: [Pagan-Headstone-Campaign] Re: Fwd: PRESIDENT BUSH Apologizes to Wiccan War Widow

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2007
      Hello Heather,

      Sunday, September 2, 2007, 5:02:09 AM, you wrote:

      H> Okay Charles ... glad to know I wasn't the only one confused!!

      Chaos, Confusion and Mayhem - my job here is done! ;-)
      (sorry!)

      H> I regard to what you said about the possibility that President Bush
      H> would have been a "bland, regular/normal/average kind of figurehead"
      H> if times were different ... you may very well be correct in your
      H> observation. However, isn't it kind of a no-brainer that the person
      H> occupying the office of President SHOULD be an individual with
      H> exceptional leadership skills ... especially in times of crisis??
      H> I'm not sure if Bush is the "wrong president for these stressful
      H> times" as much as he just should never have been president.

      No-brainer - well yea, but this is politics we are talking about. It
      isn't always the BEST person who wins a position. It is usually the
      best SOLD candidate, and that has a lot to do with who is behind him
      or her.

      Sure would be nice if we could insert a little MORE brains into our
      politics, in the form of logic and common sense! I am not holding
      my breathe at the momemt but I do tend to (try and) be optimistic, so
      I am not giving up hope.

      :-) Connie
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
        Connie

        I think what interests me about this last little deal with the president
        is that Pagans are learning to work the media and do a bit of hard politics.
        This is a matter of survival training in this country.

        Like you I don't expect a lot of change but i can't see that giving up on
        politics is going to help us in the long run. Hope is often a good survival
        tactic in that it keeps us in the fight rather than giving in and giving up.

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 4, 2007
          Hello Christopher,

          Gotta keep the hope, gotta keep the faith, gotta stay in the thick of
          things and not turn your back and walk off (because that keeps you in
          the middle of 'us' - walking away makes you an outsider..). Besides,
          it is easier to make change, if you are part of the organization or
          process that makes the change; it is easier to bring someone around to
          your point of view, if they know you, and better yet, LIKE you!

          To a certain extent, I believe that politics are naturally flawed. You
          have to have an organization and leader that conforms to as many of the
          beliefs and values of as many people as possible - which means it is a
          real hit AND miss process - in order to get to a lot of people. Start
          getting specific, ie. perfect (in certain peoples' points of view), and
          you start alienating those who have other points of view. As a
          politician, you are doomed to failure in any perfect popularity contest
          - you have to be, or you won't succeed! ;-) (Hope that makes sense?!)

          Anyway, this 'problem' is why we really need multiple, strong parties,
          and to have the balance of power spread out to the different branches
          of government. One will never be perfect, but each of a multitude will
          have strengths. Spread them out and make them work as a team, and
          things work well - get a prima-donna, power-monger, or some other kind
          of diva in charge, and you lose that good balance that makes things
          tick.

          Too much logic for politics? Sorry? I'll shut up and watch the tv like
          a good little lemming... (not!)

          ;-) Connie

          --
          Best regards,
          Connie mailto:qitty@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6, 2007
            Connie,

            Hope is always necessary, otherwise we might not even get out of bed in
            the morning. then we have to do things that keep hope alive, that includes
            not playing the victim game.

            It is nearly impossibe to change anything from the outside of a group.
            But you don't always have to stay in the same group. One can move from
            group to just as one may move from job to job for the best results as need be.

            The other thing is to spread the work around so as to not burn out. That includes
            stepping back from time to time to recharge so you survive for the long term.