Re: Morgan's Response to My Posting on Death

  • Heather Lynn Fairfield
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2007
      Dearest Morgan,

      Yes, I get it.  When you have tempted fate (or worse, feel as though you have reacted too slowly/made a miscalculation that resulted in the death of friends), this compulsion is even worse to deal with.  The worst cases I have seen is when someone feels that they called Death to the scene -- through despair, human error or a genuine need to look him in the face and laugh -- and Death responds ... not by taking YOU, but by taking someone you love.  You are left shattered and feeling responsible.

      I know that I cannot speak for any of you who have put your lives on the line in the service of this country ... but even though I am not in the military, I DO understand what it means to be human.  Knowing that what you are feeling is "normal and expected in a situation like this" does absolutely NOTHING to erase the overwhelming guilt and sadness you feel.

      In those dark moments, please try to hold on to the knowledge that we ARE only human, and sh*t happens that we can't always control.  We do not speak for Death.  Death answers to no one but the Fates.  This war (or any other) is NOT your fault, and you cannot hold yourself responsible for the decisions that Death makes when called to the battlefield.  No matter how much you may feel that your actions (or inactions) influenced the course of events.  Try hard to remember that your actions also SAVED lives.  Unfortunately, in war, it simply isn't possible to save everyone.  War takes life far more than it gives it.

      This is why I look upon those of you in the Service with the utmost respect ... because this is a reality that you choose to live with so the rest of us don't have to.

      I wish you peace, my brother ... and hope that someday, in your heart, you find it.

      Love You,
      Heather
      --
      Forewarned is half an octopus