Re[2]: [Pagan-Headstone-Campaign] Re: Just passing this on.

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2007

      Hello Eric,

      Tuesday, May 1, 2007, 6:34:58 AM, you wrote:

      --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Elliott

      <snipped>

      Don't complain about MREs, we had C rations.

      At least you didn’t have to rehydrate C-Rats.. *shuddering at the memories of the dehydrated pork and beef patties…*

      Eric

      ooh yuck! dehydrated meat product flashback *wipes tongue with towel* - why couldn't they just produce a decent jerky?! I have to admit that I liked the dehydrated fruit styrofoam chunks, and the sawdust bars (?was it supposed to be cereal or granola?) could keep you entertained nibbling on it for an entire 6-hour guard shift ;-)) I remember being thrilled about getting T-rats (the large pans of more 'real', MRE-ish, food) after prolonged field time - and a near mutiny occurring when a Platoon SGT stole our lasagna T-rat (what an a**hole).

      We still have MRE's in our office as emergency rats - had to recently change out old for some new. Apparently they have to be burned to keep people from digging the old ones out of the trash and eating them. MRE's are tough, but they eventually do go bad - and when they go bad, they're evil. I haven't actually tried the newest version of the MRE's. They look better than the old ones, but I am - nearly 10 years after my last MRE - still 'full' of them (the memory/tastes linger).  ;-)

      Connie

      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2007
        Connie wrote:

        > We still have MRE's in our office as emergency rats - had to recently
        change out old for some new.

        Some of the C-rats that we ate in 1968/9 were dated 1952; what do you
        mean that you had to throw them out as they were dated? Silly rabbit.
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2007

          Hello Charles,

          Tuesday, May 1, 2007, 5:34:49 PM, you wrote:

          Connie wrote:

          > We still have MRE's in our office as emergency rats - had to recently

          change out old for some new.

          Some of the C-rats that we ate in 1968/9 were dated 1952; what do you

          mean that you had to throw them out as they were dated? Silly rabbit.

          ;-) MRE's do last a long time past their sell-by date - but not if they've been exposed to extremes. And I do live in Egypt... it gets a wee bit warm and sunny here at times! I have had a lot of shots for preventative maintenance, but I don't think botulism is one of the series!

          Burn those toxic suckers!

          Connie