Still no response.....

  • Jim Poltrone
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2006
      On August 18, I faxed a letter to the home office of my congressional
      representative, Mike Turner, requesting that he investigate why the VA has
      been stonewalling the requests for pentacles. (I posted the text of that
      letter in a previous message.) As of today (September 28), I have yet to
      receive a response from him or his office.

      -Jim
    • George Dunn
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2006
        Don't feel singled out. Nonresponse has been pretty much my experience as
        well. Before getting in on this Pentacle campaign, it had been years since
        I'd written any of my Congressbeings, but my recollection is that I always
        got replies. They were generally inane, boilerplate sort of replies, giving
        only the barest hint that someone actually read my letters, but at least
        they were prompt. Somehow things must have changed. Apparently the new
        breed of campaign managers have decided that massaging the electorate isn't
        really necessary and the only people an incumbent needs to pacify are the
        ones who write him big checks. Other than bribes - I mean contributions -
        the only thing that seems to motivate the modern legislator is the
        possibility of public humiliation resulting from being caught supporting
        something really shameful.

        George

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
          --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, Jim Poltrone
          <poltr1@...> wrote:

          > On August 18, I faxed a letter to the home office of my
          congressional
          > representative, Mike Turner, requesting that he investigate why the
          VA has
          > been stonewalling the requests for pentacles. (I posted the text of
          that
          > letter in a previous message.) As of today (September 28), I have
          yet to
          > receive a response from him or his office.
          >
          > -Jim

          This is a very common response, especially now that it is an election
          year. Many politicians are scared to death that if they are seen to
          have any dealing with Pagans, they will loose their well funded, well
          organized support from Christian groups.
        • George Dunn
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2006
            Charles' take could be correct, of course, but I've been tasking the Web
            pretty frequently (mainly Technorati) to find clear opposition to this our
            campaign, and it's been a dry hole. Frankly, I expected to find some
            chatter on the terrible people who were trying to "deface" our cementaries
            with "satanic" iconography, but there's nada. The only Christian activism
            on this issue has been the SUPPORT of several churches and clergy in the
            name of fair play. I think there is no well-funded or organized
            anti-Pentacle campaign; what we see is the result of a few individuals
            (indeed, possibly only one) having the power to do as they please who have
            learned to feel contempt for the will of the people.

            Still, it could be that Congressional types ARE "scared" of drying up their
            contributions, but that sort of goes to my earlier point, that modern pols
            are only interested in the constituency that writes checks.

            George