Wicca recognized by Military Court

  • NeldaKyra@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2006
      Merry Meet, everyone!
             I thought the following information might be of some use.  It isn't just the civil courts that have recognized Wicca as a valid religion.  You'd think the VA would at least pay some attention to the decisions of the Military Courts of Justice.  <shakes head>  So much for logic.
             Love and blessings, Kyra

      Military Courts of Justice in the U.S. have also found Wicca to be a valid religion, deserving of protection under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. In United States v. Phillips, (42 M.J. 346) in 1995) the concurring opinion by Judge Wiss stated: "First, Wicca is a socially recognized religion. It is is acknowledged as such by the Army. See Dept. of the Army (DA) Pamphlet 165-13-1, Religious Requirements and Practices of Certain Selected Groups: A Handbook for Chaplains (April 1980), revising A Pamphlet 165-13, "Religious Requirements and Practices of Certain Selected Groups: A Handbook for Chaplains" (April 1978). Further, it is acknowledged as such in courts of law."