Re: NEW ref: chaplains

  • lady_emmachia
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2006
      Thank you for asking these questions Charles (instead of refuting me
      and my research like some others have.)

      Here is the research:

      This is Silver Drakes application info from Circle back in 1999.
      Like him or not personally, he is properly qualified. Circle
      applied to become an EEA with the AFCB.
      http://www.circlesanctuary.org/liberty/report/fall1999.htm

      Secondly, here is the Military Pagan Network research:

      The message board, where this issue has been addressed several times
      over the years:
      http://www.milpagan.org/wwwboard/messages/1/116.html

      There have been many queries as to requirements for a (pagan)
      chaplain, and as many not too sure responses. Here are the current
      requirements, copied directly from the Army Chief of Chaplains
      Newsletter:

      [ The following are basic requirements for service as an active duty
      (RA) chaplain (I will address the RC
      requirements next month):
      (1). Must be less than 40 upon commissioning; (2) must have a post-
      baccalaureate degree in religion / theology or related studies from
      an accredited institution; (3) must have at lease 72 hours of post-
      graduate level work in religion/theology or related studies; (4)
      must have at least 2 years of post-graduate professional
      ministry experience; (5) must be endorsed by a faith group
      recognized by the Armed Forces Chaplains Board; MY NOTE: MUST BE AN
      EEA APPROVED BY AFCB
      (6) must not have more than 10 years of enlisted active federal
      service; and (7) must be able to serve at least
      10 years as an active duty chaplain prior to reaching 20 years of
      active federal service.
      For active duty applicants, all interviews will be authorized by
      DACH only when a valid DD 2088 (ecclesiastical
      endorsement) is on file.
      If you have questions or would like to request an active duty
      accession packet, please contact CH (LTC) Carol
      Mitchell, Accessions Officer, at 703-601-1128 or by email at
      carol.a.mitchell@.... ]

      The degree requierment does not specify that the degree be in or
      centered on the chaplains own faith. Pastorial counciling, world
      religions and Family life are a few that have been used by LDS
      Chaplains.

      Second Page concerning the AFCB etc.
      http://www.milpagan.org/wwwboard/messages/1/168.html

      Copy and Paste
      One step closer to getting VA chaplains-

      I have been authorized by Dr. David Oringdorff, of the Executive
      Council of Sacred Well Congregation(SWC) to inform the military
      pagan community of the MPN forums and lists that as of 3 December
      2005, The Sacred Well Congregation has been entered to full
      membership as an endorsing body in the Committee on Ministry in
      Specialized Settings (COMISS). COMISS is the primary organization
      with responsibility for establishing which civil organizations may
      present an Ecclesiastical Endorsing Agent (EEA) to the military
      chaplaincy. Through its subsidiaries, the National Council on
      Ministry to the Armed Forces(NCMAF) and the Endorsers Conference for
      Veterans Affairs Chaplains(ECVAC), COMISS is the endorsing path for
      military chaplains, and VA chaplains, respectively.

      What this means, folks- is that finally, a pagan organization has
      achieved parity with the mainstream religious endorsing groups! SWC
      is technically on the same footing as the Southern Baptist
      Conference, The Jewish Council, and the Roman Catholic Church,
      etc... with regard to putting forth an EEA and a candidate for the
      military or VA chaplaincy.

      Understandably, Dr. Oringdorff was not forthcoming on immediate
      plans for EEA or chaplain candidates, but the road IS now open.
      Great thanks are due for the outstanding achievement of SWC, and all
      those who have lent time and energy to this great undertaking. SWC
      is highly appreciative of the efforts of those MPN members within
      SWC, and especially those outside SWC that have given of their
      knowledge, time, and talents.

      If anyone wants to see more regulations and documents regarding
      chaplaincy, please go here:

      http://www.milpagan.org/RC/documents_available.html
      In particular the "CHaplain's Packet" we have put together for
      applicants: http://www.milpagan.org/RC/mpnp2-1.html

      Rona
      Message 2 of 11 , May 9, 2006
        --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "lady_emmachia"
        <emmachia@...> wrote:

        > [ The following are basic requirements for service as an active
        duty
        > (RA) chaplain (I will address the RC
        > requirements next month):
        (1). Must be less than 40 upon commissioning;

        And must qualify for enlistment and commissioning.

        (2) must have a post-baccalaureate degree in religion/theology or
        related studies from an accredited institution;

        (3) must have at lease 72 hours of post-graduate level work in
        religion/theology or related studies;

        (4) must have at least 2 years of post-graduate professional
        ministry experience;

        Not, professional ministry experience. This does not necessarily mean
        paid but it does mean full time and it also means doing ALL the work
        that other ministers do.

        (5) must be endorsed by a faith group recognized by the Armed Forces
        Chaplains Board; MY NOTE: MUST BE AN EEA APPROVED BY AFCB

        (6) must not have more than 10 years of enlisted active federal
        service; and

        (7) must be able to serve at least 10 years as an active duty
        chaplain prior to reaching 20 years of active federal service.

        And will be required to make such a commitment.