Letters to senators and congressmen

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 5:31 PM
      Here is a letter I sent (with appropriate varioations) to six
      senators (PA, NJ, VT) and three congressmen using my current address
      and two old ones:

      Thank you for using GovernmentGuide Mail System

      Message sent to the following recipients:
      Senator Specter
      Message text follows:

      Charles Arnold
      Pagan Veterans Headstone Campaign, 114-490 Plaza Blvd
      Morrisville, PA 19067

      April 30, 2006

      [recipient address was inserted here]

      Dear [recipient name was inserted here],

      Senator Specter, you appear to be a fair minded may and I appreciate
      many
      of your stances but I have to ask you how someone such as you, with
      your
      moral convictions and committee assignments, can go along with the
      continued religious discrimination practiced by the Department of
      Veterans
      Affairs.

      Wasn't it bad enough when veterans were dying of impairment and old
      age
      and being treated as second class citizens by the National Cemeteries
      office? But now that we are starting to lose GIs on active duty,
      folks
      like SGT Patrick Stewart who died in combat in Afghanistan last
      September,
      how can you possible stop from attacking the status quo?

      At this moment there are thirty-eight different raiths and
      organizations
      with approved emblems of spirit. A number of these groups do not
      actually
      have a single member serving in the US Armed Forces. At the same time
      there are roughly 5,000 wiccan and other Pagans in uniform, not
      counting
      those in the National Guard (as was SGT Stewart). But the VA still
      refuses
      to grant, after nearly nine years, approval for the Pentacle as an
      authorized emblem of spirit.

      None of the Armed Forces has any problem whatsoever with members of
      our
      faiths and I should know being one of the very first to publicly
      announce
      such back in 1969 when I returned after an extended tour in Vietnam
      with a
      branch of Army Intelligence. Of the tens of thousands of Pagan
      veterans it
      is only a small percentage who have complaints about their treatment.
      But
      now, with US troops in Afghaniztan, Iraq and elsewhere, often in
      combat
      conditions, the one organization that is mandated with serving the
      needs
      of veterans decides that we are somehow second class citizens, if
      citizens
      at all.

      I would appreciate a detailed response from you either defending, in
      writing, your position to allow this situation to continue or a
      similar
      detailed statement noting what you are going to do to change the
      situation
      and when. I can then post this information, as we are posting similar
      statement from a few hundred other elected officials and allowing
      members
      of our community to decide for themselves whether or not to vote for
      Republican candidates or donate funds or time to lRepublican
      candidates.

      Sincerely,

      Charles Arnold
      215-428-1045
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2006
        Hello Charles,

        http://www.legion.org/?section=publications&subsection=pubs_mag_index&content=pub_mag_feature

        This month's Anerican Legion Magazine has an appropriate letter for a
        PHC-kinda-response. They are reporting on "A Place of Honor" for our
        Veteran (regarding availability of spaces in Veteran cemeteries) about
        about a "Mark for Honoring" (one's religion).

        contact page: http://www.legion.org/?content=help_contact

        >snip from article<

        “Adequate resources are vital to fulfill NCA’s mission to continue to meet burial needs and maintain
        its national cemeteries as shrines dedicated to preserving our nation’s history and honoring veterans’
        service and sacrifice,” says VA Under Secretary for Memorial Affairs William F. Tuerk.

        More than 3 million veterans – from the Revolutionary War to Operation Iraqi Freedom – are buried
        in state and national cemeteries in America and abroad. Their headstones, row after row, stand as
        breathtaking testimony to the cost of freedom and to the pledge that those who vowed to fight must
        never be forgotten.

        The new national cemeteries of recent years and additional burial capacity of state cemeteries created
        through SCGP will increase the percentage of veterans served at a national or state veterans cemetery
        within 75 miles of their residence to nearly 84 percent, NCA says. To families who now have to travel
        hundreds of miles to the nearest veterans cemetery, that’s a sign of progress.

        The challenge remains daunting in a time of scarcity both of land and of federal dollars, but Walsh
        says a final resting place of honor is a promise the U.S. government intends to keep.

        “We owe nothing less to these courageous military veterans than to bury them in places of honor at
        national or state shrines that testify to their country’s eternal gratitude,” he said. “It is our
        promise. It is our duty.”

        --
        Best regards,
        Connie mailto:qitty@...