What I do when I get discouraged

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2006
      I probably have one of the largest collections of Woody Gutherie; Pete
      Seeger; Peter, Paul & Mary; and similar musicians of anyone on this
      list. When all of this starts to get to me, as it does pretty darned
      often, I put on four or five CDs, turn out the lights and just breathe
      in the energy. This music has kept me going since I first got involved
      in the civil rights movement in the early 1960s and the amti-war
      movement when I got back from Vietnam and it keeps me going still today.

      I must say that I feel a certain amount of sympathy for that portion of
      the population who grew up after that era and who may never have heard
      about these incredible people.

      There are still any number of songs by these people who can bring tears
      to my eyes.

      Charles
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2006
        Hello Charles,

        Monday, March 6, 2006, 2:25:09 AM, you wrote:

        CPA> I probably have one of the largest collections of Woody Gutherie; Pete
        CPA> Seeger; Peter, Paul & Mary; and similar musicians of anyone on this
        CPA> list. <snip>

        CPA> I must say that I feel a certain amount of sympathy for that portion of
        CPA> the population who grew up after that era and who may never have heard
        CPA> about these incredible people.

        CPA> There are still any number of songs by these people who can bring tears
        CPA> to my eyes.

        CPA> Charles

        I wasn't around in the early '60's, but I love the music. Ok, some was
        kinda lame, but the '60s had real music with something to say. I will
        listen to just about any music except Country pop, and Christian
        pop/rap :-p. Oh, but even though I'm not Christian, there is some gospel
        that can still overwhelm me spiritually and bring tears to my eyes. It's
        amazing that music can have such power over our emotions. I'm not a musician,
        can never remember title and artists, song names or lyrics, but I have a good
        voice and sing to my kids all the time. I just make up songs for them as I
        go. Simple words sung nicely to a catchy/pleasant tune can calm
        even the fiercest of toddler tantrums - now that's power! Is it any
        wonder that the same power can affect adults who wander about humming
        the melody/words, no matter their mood. It's more than words and
        musical instruments. It's something that hits our brains and spirits,
        consciously and unconsciously, it's a powerful way to get a message across.

        And Bless Rosemary - I did not know her off-list, but I too am sad
        that she had to leave just as she had come so close to achieving her goal
        for Abe. Not all of us who start a journey are meant to finish it
        though. She was here, walked her path, and helped to further the
        progress of this cause, as well as others, no doubt. Neil Gaiman wrote a
        line for one of his Sandman characters that has stuck with me since I
        first read it. The line was by the character Death, to someone in response
        to the length of our lives. She said "You get what everyone gets, you get
        a lifetime". It's not the length of our lives that matter, or where we
        end up... it's what we do while we are here. That Rosemary chose to
        devote some of her lifetime to this cause is telling.

        You mentioned Woody Gutherie - below is one of my favorite songs by
        him. I like the light-hearted/dead-seriousness of it. I like the
        connection of past to future. I like the "I was the one.." way in
        which he, to me, gives a sense of the the individual as part of the
        whole - bragging about it and to blame for it. All this, and a
        catchy song too. Don't worry that Rosemary didn't get to finish
        her quest with PHC - she gave what she had to give, right? And isn't
        that the greatest thing ever done?

        Peace to you Charles, and all of you who were personal friends with
        Rosemary - and blessings to the lady herself, as she rejoins her Abe.

        Connie

        Biggest Thing Man Has Ever Done Lyrics
        Woody Guthrie

        (The Great Historical Bum)

        I'm just a lonesome traveler, The Great Historical Bum.
        Highly educated from history I have come.
        I built the Rock of Ages, 'twas in the Year of One
        And that was about the biggest thing that man had ever done.

        I worked in the Garden of Eden, that was the year of two,
        Joined the apple pickers union, I always paid my due;
        I'm the man that signed the contract to raise the rising sun,
        And that was about the biggest thing that man had ever done.

        I was straw boss on the Pyramids, the Tower of Babel, too;
        I opened up the ocean let the migrant children through,
        I fought a million battles and I never lost a one,
        And that was about the biggest thing that man had ever done.

        I beat the daring Roman, I beat the daring Turk,
        Defeated Nero's army with thirty minutes work,
        I fought the greatest leaders and I licked them everyone
        And that was about the biggest thing that man had ever done.

        I stopped old Caesar's Romans, and I stopped the Kubla Khan;
        I took but half an hour's work to beat the Pharaoh's bands;
        I knocked old Kaiser Bill flat, then I dumped the bloody Huns,
        And that's about the biggest thing that man has ever done.

        I was in the Revolution when we set the country free;
        Me and a couple of Indians that dumped the Boston tea;
        We won the battle at Valley Forge, the battle of Bully Run;
        And that was about the biggest thing that man has ever done.

        Next, we won the slavery war, some other folks and me,
        And every slave from sea to sea was all turned loose by me.
        I divorced old Madam slavery, and I wed this freedom dame.
        And that's about the biggest thing that man has ever done.

        And then I took to farming on the great midwestern plain,
        The dust it blowed a hundred years, but never come a rain'
        Well, me and a million other fellas left there on the run
        And that was about the biggest thing that man has ever done.

        I clumb the rocky canyon where the Columbia River rolls,
        Seen the salmon leaping the rapids and the falls
        The big Grand Coulee Dam in the state of Washington
        Is just about the biggest thing that man has ever done.

        There's a building in New York that you call the Empire State
        I rode the rods to 'Frisco to walk the Golden Gate
        I've seen every foot of film that Hollywood has run
        But Coulee is the biggest thing that man has ever done.

        Three times the size of Boulder or the highest pyramid
        Makes the Tower of Babel a plaything for a kid
        From the rising of the river to the setting of the sun
        The Coulee is the biggest thing that man has ever done.

        There was a man across the ocean, I guess you knew him well,
        His name was Adolf Hitler, goddam his soul to hell;
        We kicked him in the panzers and put him on the run,
        And that was about the biggest thing that man has ever done.

        I'm living with my freedom wife in this big land we built;
        It takes all forty eight States for me to spread my quilt.
        Our kids are several millions now; they run from sun to sun.
        And that's about the biggest thing that man has ever done.

        I built mines and mills and factories to run for Uncle Sam;
        I turned th' ploughs and wheels to feed my soldiers in your lands;
        This Nazi job's a tough 'un, it'll take us everyone,
        'Cause this is about the biggest thing that man has ever done.

        There's warehouse guys and teamsters and guys that skin the cats
        Guys that run my steel mill, my furnace and my blast
        We'll stop the Axis rattlesnakes and thieves of old Nippon
        And that will be the biggest thing that man has ever done.

        I'd better quit my talking, 'cause I told you all I know,
        But please remember, pardner, wherever you may go,
        The people are building a peaceful world, and when the job is done
        That'll be the biggest thing that man has ever done.

        I better quit my talking now; I told you all I know,
        But please remember, pardner, wherever you may go,
        I'm older than your old folks, and I'm younger than the young,
        And I'm about the biggest thing that man has ever done.