What to blame it on

    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 14, 2006
      I can't blame it on my hair - brown

      so I guess I can get away with blaming it on my chart:
      Sun, Mars and Pluto all in Leo
      Almost everything else is fire with some air and one or two water)
      Moon in Taurus (the only earth in my entire chart)
      Rising sign is Aries

      Oh yes, just as a personal note, my Venus is in Scorpio (LOL)
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 14, 2006
        --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "Georgia Langley"
        <reconwitch@...> wrote:

        > Oh you all just go ahead and be geezers, and such... I'll just be
        Ms. Happy Pants for the rest of my life. ;-) Ok... maybe not...
        *snort*

        > Georgia

        Georgia/Ms. Happy, would you like to meet Mister Happy? I would love
        to introduce you.

        (I have a nasty habit of making Georgia snort her tea that I just
        can't seem to be able to break)
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 14, 2006
          I always blame it on my hair. Or, rather, the LACK of it! (Chuckle!)
          Cosmo

          "Charles P. Arnold" <charlesparnold@...> wrote:
          I can't blame it on my hair - brown

          so I guess I can get away with blaming it on my chart:
          Sun, Mars and Pluto all in Leo
          Almost everything else is fire with some air and one or two water)
          Moon in Taurus (the only earth in my entire chart)
          Rising sign is Aries

          Oh yes, just as a personal note, my Venus is in Scorpio (LOL)

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/6cWolB/TM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Yahoo! Mail

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 14, 2006
            Or just dye your hair, like my soulmate did!

            --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, Paula
            wrote:

            > But Charles, when you get old you have an excuse for doing anything!
            I am looking forward to getting older, as I'm only 47 now. I write, so
            am considered eccentric already, I'm blonde, so am considered ditzy,
            and once I get old, I will be considered senile. I will have an excuse
            for any dumb thing I do! Besides, just being a dumb thing to do, I
            mean.
            > lol,
            > Mama Cat, who can't wait to become a geezer in training.....

            Now all you need is a bright red outfit or two and a couple of really
            flayboyant red hats...

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/6cWolB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Yahoo! Mail

          • Georgia Langley
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 15, 2006
              LOL  You are lucky I read this before drinking anything.  Mr. Happy..  *giggle*

              Georgia

              Georgia/Ms. Happy, would you like to meet Mister Happy? I would love to introduce you.

              (I have a nasty habit of making Georgia snort her tea that I just can't seem to be able to break)
            • Christopher
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 17, 2006
                --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "Charles P. Arnold"
                <charlesparnold@...> wrote:

                > But I'm not quite even 60 yet!
                > Sounds like something out of Monty Pyton, desn't it?

                Old enough to be a Geezer in training. [Grin]

                I just turned 60 in November. I just sort of jumped into it. I am becoming older
                so I decided that I might as well make it interesting rather than trying to fight
                it off.

                I think the main thing about getting older is to find out the good things about it
                rather than playing to good old days and comparing ourselves now to some
                younger version.

                I like the fact that people stop trying to change you, I like the
                bit of respect.

                I even like the box girls at the supper market who want to carry
                my groceries for me.

                I like the fact that my very limits are perfect excuses for not doing what
                I didn't want to do in the first place.

                I like the fact I can be a little selfish and can decide to do some of the things
                that I like to do every day. That way I always have something to look forward
                to each day.

                I can even take a long boring bus trip to the VA hospital and, by checking out the
                local books stores, bring back books not available to me at home. Makes the
                trips much more rewarding. Built up much of my personal library that way.

                I watch older men, and see which ones seem to handle their age the best. The
                ones who handle it with grace and style. The ones who are unforgettable.

                If I am going to be a geezer, I might as well be an interesting one. Much better than
                just being a complaining one or a depressed one.

              • Christopher
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 17, 2006
                  --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, Pete Barrington <lordtracker@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I always blame it on my hair. Or, rather, the LACK of it! (Chuckle!)
                  > Cosmo

                  Cosmo,

                  Humor is one of the best methods of surviving. One of the reasons I practice
                  my geezerisms. How else does one become an accomplished geezer?

                  I have to focus my lesser energy to get anything done. But getting things done is
                  so much more an accomplishment now then it used to be.

                  Use up your life. Don't let any of it go to waste.
                • Mike Akins
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 17, 2006
                    Thanks, Chris- for reminding me what are the REWARDS of advancing
                    chronology! [The discounts at the restaraunt, etc. help too.]

                    I reached this milestone of assumed wisdom in August. Kids gave me a
                    gift of a day on a rented Harley. Liked it so much, I went out and
                    bought my own to also commemorate my full retirement from military. I
                    can still wear the leathers I bought 20 years ago, so I guess bikes
                    qualify as an anti-aging device, right? {If you get Stupid, you don't
                    get any older..LOL}

                    --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher"

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 17, 2006
                      Hello Christopher,

                      You have an awesome attitude, which is healthy no matter what age you
                      are! I am only 38 - when I remember to do the math right, I haven't
                      really paid attention to my age since counting still mattered, about
                      25? right? - but my knees are an excellent example of 'it is not the
                      years, but the mileage'. I've had some use-and-abuse issues with them
                      since about 26-28, piled on top of minor deformity... I had military
                      orthepedic surgeons make nasty comments about how I should have never
                      been allowed in the Army in the first place, that if they'd been at
                      the Entry Processing, I wouldn't have been allowed in. But, I maxed
                      the tests and wanted in, so I was in, and I could run through the pain
                      (never good, no matter how hard I tried, but good enough). I thought
                      the 'no pain, no gain' was for the way it was supposed to be! Anyway,
                      nowadays, if I overdo things my knees can act up bad enough where they
                      just give out on me and I fall without warning. This was my first major
                      clue that I wasn't the immortal superwoman I thought I was.

                      Anyway, having &^%$#*-ed up knees at my age got me down at first,
                      especially right after I was evaluated and told it would take some
                      major surgery to make things better (not perfect, but better). But I
                      believe in looking for the positive, and you know, it works. So, while
                      I am actually starting to seriously consider the surgery, I know that
                      I am lucky, no matter what. I may not be able to run, stairs kill me
                      (and it could be literally but I know to use the rails), but I can
                      walk. I'm not in a chair or confined to bed. I have my legs. It could
                      be worse. I think all things about life can be dealt with this
                      attitude. I am definitely a "Glass half-full" type of person, and the
                      longer I have maintained this attitude, the more I think it makes me a
                      "Glass half-full and I know where to get more" type.

                      Smile - it really DOES make you feel better - (and makes people wonder
                      what you're up to ;-) !)

                      Connie

                      C> --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "Charles P. Arnold"
                      C> <charlesparnold@...> wrote:

                      >> But I'm not quite even 60 yet!
                      >> Sounds like something out of Monty Pyton, desn't it?

                      C> Old enough to be a Geezer in training. [Grin]

                      C> I just turned 60 in November. I just sort of jumped into it. I am becoming older
                      C> so I decided that I might as well make it interesting rather than trying to fight
                      C> it off.

                      C> I think the main thing about getting older is to find out the good things about it
                      C> rather than playing to good old days and comparing ourselves now to some
                      C> younger version.

                      C> I like the fact that people stop trying to change you, I like the
                      C> bit of respect.

                      C> I even like the box girls at the supper market who want to carry
                      C> my groceries for me.

                      C> I like the fact that my very limits are perfect excuses for not doing what
                      C> I didn't want to do in the first place.

                      C> I like the fact I can be a little selfish and can decide to do some of the things
                      C> that I like to do every day. That way I always have something to look forward
                      C> to each day.

                      C> I can even take a long boring bus trip to the VA hospital and, by checking out the
                      C> local books stores, bring back books not available to me at home. Makes the
                      C> trips much more rewarding. Built up much of my personal library that way.

                      C> I watch older men, and see which ones seem to handle their age the best. The
                      C> ones who handle it with grace and style. The ones who are unforgettable.

                      C> If I am going to be a geezer, I might as well be an interesting one. Much better than
                      C> just being a complaining one or a depressed one.

                      C> Blessed Be,
                      C> Christopher
                    • Paula
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 17, 2006
                        Connie,
                        You have the right attitude. OA hit my knees when I was nine, yes, nine. I now have no cartiledge left in either knee, my hip has a lovely spur, and my lower three vertabrae are leaving, no forwarding address, just leaving.
                        Having a positive attitude is the only thing that gets one through the day. If we sat and cried we'd drown the world, and still be in pain, so might as well get on with it and get the job done. Isn't that why we are all here? To get the job done? With the can do attitude, anything can be done, right?
                        And Christopher, you're right about the getting older. We can't stop it, might as well make the best of it. I want that dang discount when it's time, darn it!
                        Mama Cat, still walking, although slowly and with her cane or scooter, at 47

                        Connie <qitty@...> wrote:
[...]

                        "You laugh because I'm different.
                        I cry because you are all the same."

                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 17, 2006

                          Hi Mama Cat,

                          Connie,

                          You have the right attitude. OA hit my knees when I was nine, yes, nine. I now have no cartiledge left in either knee, my hip has a lovely spur, and my lower three vertabrae are leaving, no forwarding address, just leaving.

                          Having a positive attitude is the only thing that gets one through the day. If we sat and cried we'd drown the world, and still be in pain, so might as well get on with it and get the job done. Isn't that why we are all here? To get the job done? With the can do attitude, anything can be done, right?

                          And Christopher, you're right about the getting older. We can't stop it, might as well make the best of it. I want that dang discount when it's time, darn it!

                          Mama Cat, still walking, although slowly and with her cane or scooter, at 47

                          Ooh, 9! ow! Poor little girl :-( And what it is with bones and joints - a conspiracy?! I have herniated disc problems in my lower back and have had times (yea, more than once) where my knee went out, causing me to fall and sprain my ankle, necessitating the use of a cane, which causes a flare-up of the lower back - which I guess is actually really funny in a very slap-stick-humor kind of way, except for the pain, and dangit, it hurts to let loose a big belly-laugh when your back is locked up due to sciatica! (not quite as bad as a having an uncontrollable laughing fit with 34 surgical staples in your belly though, but that's a pregnancy story, not about ornery joints!) But, as you note, what good does crying do? Ok, so I do think that expressing your emotions is good - get 'em out and get over it. The only thing worse than being in pain is being in pain AND being depressed :-P So don't be!

                          Connie :-)

                        • Christopher
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 18, 2006
                            --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Akins" <TruthCeeker@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Thanks, Chris- for reminding me what are the REWARDS of advancing
                            > chronology! [The discounts at the restaraunt, etc. help too.]
                            >
                            > I reached this milestone of assumed wisdom in August. Kids gave me a
                            > gift of a day on a rented Harley. Liked it so much, I went out and
                            > bought my own to also commemorate my full retirement from military. I
                            > can still wear the leathers I bought 20 years ago, so I guess bikes
                            > qualify as an anti-aging device, right? {If you get Stupid, you don't
                            > get any older..LOL}

                            Also it often takes until you are older to afford one. I have seen the prices of a Harley.
                            I have bought cars for less. [Grin] I don't have the reaction time for one, but then I
                            didn't even when I was younger.

                          • Christopher
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 18, 2006
                              The same attitude is necessary in all of our long term fights, such as this getting
                              the pentacle on our veterans head stones, or maintaining our rights. It is always
                              a long term battle not a quick one. So we have to learn survival tactics so as to
                              keep going and not get discouraged.

                              The same tactics of humor honoring what we still can do and not giving up works
                              on these problems as well. Also the same kind of mutual support. We encourage
                              those about to give up and take encouragement as needed. We learn to disagree
                              without having to prove who is right, so that we can still work with people that we
                              disagree with.

                              We must remember to use magical workings to compliment our necessary mundane
                              work. Don't ask me why that last part is so hard for magical people to remember.
                              But when you hear us gripe and complain we have often forgot that we have the
                              power to make changes in ourselves to make the batter more possible and more
                              winnable.

                              Look at the far right or the religious right. Disagree if you must, but learn from
                              them as well. Once they were laughed at as backwards and silly. Liberals had won
                              and all was "right" with the world.

                              Did the far right give up, did the religious right give up? Not all all. They kept
                              working making inroads where they could, small as those victories may have been.
                              They worked even harder and remained firm in their beliefs and did the work,
                              raised the money, created their coalitions. They found ways to bridge great
                              difference and worked with anybody who would work with them, using others to
                              gain their goals. Now look at their power. They started forming the foundations
                              for this power right in the midst of the liberal victory.

                              Can we afford to do any less for our own communities? Stop reacting and learn
                              the lessons. We can have victory in time, if we are willing to never give up.
                              Anything less leads to complete defeat.

                              If our groups can't work together, fine! Then join all the groups you can to push
                              for similar ideas we can work on. I work on groups that can't stand each other.
                              But if any of them can do anything I will encourage it.

                              See, as many of us were taught, everything is connected. Lessons from one part
                              of life may also work on other parts of life. So use the total of the wisdom you
                              have picked up on the way.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 18, 2006
                                Hello Christopher,

                                Saturday, February 18, 2006, 7:38:18 PM, you wrote:

                                C> The same attitude is necessary in all of our long term fights, such as this getting
                                C> the pentacle on our veterans head stones, or maintaining our rights. It is always
                                C> a long term battle not a quick one. So we have to learn survival tactics so as to
                                C> keep going and not get discouraged.

                                >remainder snipped<

                                VERY nicely put!

                                Connie
                              • Christopher
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 19, 2006
                                  --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, Connie <qitty@...> wrote:

                                  > Hello Christopher,

                                  > VERY nicely put!
                                  >
                                  > Connie

                                  Connie,

                                  That brings the next question.

                                  What is next if the pentacle gets approved?

                                  Also what is next if these recent attempts fail?

                                  Somehow I don't think our job is done yet,
                                  either way?

                                  If it get approved the we need to get ready for the attempts at other
                                  religious symbols, which could still be a bit of a fight. It is too easy
                                  as a Wiccan to be satisfied.

                                  If it fails then we still need to consider what more is necessary. I still
                                  think keeping pressure on our senators and representatives is necessary.

                                  I just got my first response and at least the first paragraph wasn't usual,
                                  even if the remaining was the usual take it your own way but it rally means
                                  nothing more than we mean it to be.

                                  Terms like "I will give it the attention it deserves" could mean I have sent it
                                  straight to the trash barrel. Double speak is quite a language in itself.

                                  But at least the first paragraph told me thanks for bringing the Pentacle
                                  on Pagan vets headstones to his attention, which also could have double
                                  meaning, like what ever secretary who answered back noted that much on
                                  the letter rather than that the Congressman actually read it. But it is unlikely
                                  to be ready made and lying around in the office file.

                                  So I have to start writing the replacement letter. Interesting that with the
                                  checking letters for poisons and bombs it can take near two months for
                                  a letter to get responded to.

                                  But then I was surprised to even get a response from this congressman's office
                                  as he is a Republican and normally does not respond to my letters.

                                  I still think it is going to take a lot more of these letters to get them to actually
                                  notice the issue, much less put any pressure on the VA to do something.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 19, 2006
                                    <myrddin@...> wrote:

                                    > That brings the next question. What is next if the pentacle gets
                                    approved?

                                    The Awen is the next target and applications have already been
                                    swubmitted by a network of national Druidic groups. After that,
                                    either a hammer or some other symbol for our Heather cousins;
                                    whatever they want. After that, I quit.

                                    > Also what is next if these recent attempts fail?

                                    We start all over again, and again, and again... And each time we try
                                    a little harder and inform more people, bring more pressure to bear,
                                    become more vocal, etc.

                                    > Somehow I don't think our job is done yet, either way?

                                    As I have said from the beginning, once we get three symbols (if the
                                    Heathens want one) I will step down, disband this organization, and
                                    happily withdraw.

                                    > If it gets approved then we need to get ready for the attempts at
                                    other religious symbols, which could still be a bit of a fight. It is
                                    too easy as a Wiccan to be satisfied.

                                    My belief is that all Wiccans should get is one symbol, just as
                                    Baptists or Mormons or Unitarians or whoever else gets only one
                                    symbol.

                                    > If it fails then we still need to consider what more is necessary.
                                    I still think keeping pressure on our senators and representatives is
                                    necessary.

                                    Absolutely, expecially now that all members of the House and 1/3 of
                                    the Senate are standign for re-election this fall.

                                    > I just got my first response and at least the first paragraph
                                    wasn't usual, even if the remaining was the usual take it your own
                                    way but it rally means nothing more than we mean it to be. Terms
                                    like "I will give it the attention it deserves" could mean I have
                                    sent it straight to the trash barrel. Double speak is quite a
                                    language in itself.

                                    Never accept such language from an elected official. Ask SPECIFICALLY
                                    what they intend to do about it and WHEN. If they don't get back to
                                    you ten days after that date, get on their case yet again.
                                    Politicians specialize in avoiding specific answers, changing the
                                    question to fit their needs, and engaging in all kinds of double
                                    speak. We absolutely cannot allow this.

                                    > But at least the first paragraph told me thanks for bringing the
                                    Pentacle on Pagan vets headstones to his attention, which also could
                                    have double meaning, like what ever secretary who answered back noted
                                    that much on the letter rather than that the Congressman actually
                                    read it. But it is unlikely to be ready made and lying around in the
                                    office file.

                                    Dear Constituent:
                                    Thank you so very much for bringing to my attention the topis of
                                    (fill in the blank)... You would be amazed how easy it is to get out
                                    a hundred different letters per day to constituents if you have form
                                    letters in your file and all you have to do is fill in the area of
                                    the constituent's concern by reading their letter - something that a
                                    typist might do without the elected official ever seeing the letter.
                                    Instead, they will usually get a list of the various concerns
                                    expressed over the course of a day or a week and then have an
                                    assistant start fashioning policy responses to those most often seen
                                    on that list.

                                    > So I have to start writing the replacement letter. Interesting that
                                    with the checking letters for poisons and bombs it can take near two
                                    months for a letter to get responded to.

                                    Most Congressional representatives have been too busy getting their
                                    re-election campaigns up to speed. If you get a chance, watch
                                    television coverage of the House in session, especially the parts
                                    where they show one person at the podium speaking and, if we're
                                    lucky, one or two other members in the entire chamber. This is our
                                    government, folks.

                                    > But then I was surprised to even get a response from this
                                    congressman's office as he is a Republican and normally does not
                                    respond to my letters.

                                    Never be surprised unless you don't get a response. There are too
                                    many paid staff and too much to be lost if one or two letters don't
                                    get a reply and someone back home starts a campaign to replace the
                                    imcumbent.

                                    > I still think it is going to take a lot more of these letters to
                                    get them to actually notice the issue, much less put any pressure on
                                    the VA to do something.

                                    That is why I have always said that writing letters to elected
                                    officials is important but getting public sympathy via interviews,
                                    articles, letters to editors, demonstrations and other activities is
                                    even more important. Politicians respond best when they fear that the
                                    people that they represent will, one day, kick them out of office and
                                    cut off the sweet deal that being in Congress really is.

                                    Charles
                                  • Christopher
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 20, 2006
                                      <charlesparnold@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                      > television coverage of the House in session, especially the parts
                                      > where they show one person at the podium speaking and, if we're
                                      > lucky, one or two other members in the entire chamber. This is our
                                      > government, folks.
                                      >

                                      > Never be surprised unless you don't get a response. There are too
                                      > many paid staff and too much to be lost if one or two letters don't
                                      > get a reply and someone back home starts a campaign to replace the
                                      > imcumbent.
                                      >

                                      > That is why I have always said that writing letters to elected
                                      > officials is important but getting public sympathy via interviews,
                                      > articles, letters to editors, demonstrations and other activities is
                                      > even more important. Politicians respond best when they fear that the
                                      > people that they represent will, one day, kick them out of office and
                                      > cut off the sweet deal that being in Congress really is.

                                      Some good points Charles.