November 11, 2005 - The Plan

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2005
      First off, I need to know who here is directly related, by blood or
      marriage, to a deceased Pagan veteran who is buried in a veteran's
      cemetery.

      Next, I need to ask those of you who are related if you are willing
      to become as actively involved in this issue as is Rosemary.

      What I would like to see happen is as follows, if there are no
      objections:

      1. I would like to get a dozen or more volunteers from the Pagan
      Harley Owners Group to meet me early on the morning of November 11,
      in Philadelphia.

      2. I would like as many of the rest of you who are in the area to
      meet there as well, driving if possible.

      3. I would like to see those flags I have asked for, as well as
      American flags attached to all of the bikes and cars (a la Rolling
      Thunder)

      4. We would then create a motorcade from downtown Philadelphia,
      through Baltimore and DC, to Arlington.

      5. Once at Arlington, we would go to Abe's grave and, once again,
      place a pentacle on it, in a ceremony.

      6. We would have contacted every possible media outlet in Philly,
      Baltimore, DC and other areas along the way, as well as national
      publications, informing them beforehand of what we were going to do -
      and why.

      For any who have veterans buried in other cemeteries, we would echo
      steps 1 - 6 in each area.

      Therefore, we will need people, flags (US, Pentacle, Awen, Hammer,
      MIA/PoW, and any veterans groups to which people hold membership at
      that time), cars, bikes, handouts, still and video cameras and
      operators, etc.

      Rosemary, is this acceptable to you?

      All here, this, if we do it, will be done with respect; for Arlington
      National Cemetery as the sacred ground that it is, for all of those
      buried there, and for this country.

      If this is acceptable to Rosemary (after all, it's her husband's
      grave we will be honoring) there are other details that I would like
      to add but will only take the time and energy if there is interest.
      And if there is not enough interest to pull this off, say fifty
      people out of roughly 500,000 Pagans across the entire country (that
      is one ten thousandth of our numbers) then I will wash my hands of
      this entire group and go on with just Rosemary and a few friends.
    • Morgan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14, 2005
        At 10:18 AM 8/14/05, you wrote:
        <snip>
        >For any who have veterans buried in other cemeteries, we would echo
        >steps 1 - 6 in each area.
        >
        >Therefore, we will need people, flags (US, Pentacle, Awen, Hammer,
        >MIA/PoW, and any veterans groups to which people hold membership at
        >that time), cars, bikes, handouts, still and video cameras and
        >operators, etc.
        >All here, this, if we do it, will be done with respect; for Arlington
        >National Cemetery as the sacred ground that it is, for all of those
        >buried there, and for this country.

        Is anyone doing anything at the Riverside (CA)
        National Cemetery (http://www.cem.va.gov/nchp/riverside.htm)? I don't
        know offhand of any pagans buried there, but it's close enough to me
        that I might be able to help out.

        Morgan /|\
        "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist,
        fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic
        criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
        people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." --Robert
        Heinlein
        http://www.cafepress.com/dosomethingvote
      • Rosemary Kooiman

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 17, 2005
            Charles, I like the idea of a motorcade to Arlington.  PHOG however is very new and still very small.  In fact, looking over the limited membership rolls, the one area where we DON'T have any members are the very areas you need someone!  Until I can afford to set up a website OUTSIDE of Yahoo, I'm afraid it will remain that way.

            But I have an idea which may actually work out better and get an even larger response.  The local Harley Owners Groups from Philly to DC are FULL of veterans.  Yes, most are probably christians BUT, even those are willing to come to the aid of a vet who is in need, or especially who's memory has been slighted.  They band together and are willing to ride ESPECIALLY for deceased vets.  From the HOG members I've known, there are a vast number who would either embrace, or at least not complain, about Pagans.

              Heres the best way to contact them:
            Get in touch with the largest Harley dealerships in the areas where you want the ride to cover.  The HOG groups are sponsored by the local dealerships.  They will give you a contact name for each HOG group.  (remember, each of these individual groups have HUNDREDS of members).  They will most likely allow you to come to their regular meeting and address the group, usually 80-150 people (it's a regular feature to have outside groups address the meetings so this is not asking anything out of the ordinary and in fact, the membership LIKES it when they are asked by outsiders to help.  Thats when you begin to realize how important your group is).  You will then get volunteers and also get to tell them about the campaign.  Like any group, there will be christians who think you are satan incarnate but they won't rip on what you are trying to do for Pagan VETS.  Most of the group will be friendly and supportive.  These groups are interlinked so that members of one group can and often do ride with OTHER HOG groups for special rides.   Several riders could meet in one place or pick up riders on the road and build the group as you go.

            You may or may not get them to carry Pagan symbol flags but THE ISSUE will certainly get media attention when 150 bikes show up at Arlington, especially when there is such an unusual angle on the subject.  The bikes will make a definite visual and the viewer will not see them as anything but Pagan supporters and supporters of Pagan Vets rights.
            Heres a Pagan group on Yahoo that may have advice on the best was to approach the media.  They are Pagans who are in or who have experience with the media:
            It could help.

            I wish PHOG were ready to step up and do the motorcade.  Thats my eventual goal.  But getting independent bikers and PAGAN bikers at that, to do something as an organized community, is like trying to herd cats.  Thats why I'd suggest letting Harley-Davidsons multi-million dollar organization of bikers work for you and the vets who deserve their recognition as Pagan warriors.  I would suggest that you approach the HOG group, not in anger, but with compassion that there are Vets who's wishes remain unfullfilled because of blind bureaocracy.  That tends to get bikers blood up and willing to help.
            Jim