Active Duty Pagan Demographics

  • Emmachia
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2003
      This information was collected and passed to me via a fellow member of the
      MPN Board of Directors.

      #1) For a long time,only the Air Force collected religious demographics and
      put it on the web. It was at http://www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/ ( BTW- It is
      now their policy to no longer do that.)

      #2) The last time we collected religious demographic info from that website,
      the total numbers of Pagans in the Air Force were 1348. (numbers for August
      2003) Nearly half, (674) of those were listed as Wicca. The remaining
      numbers were made up of "Pagans", "Druids" etc.

      #3)Interestingly enough, there were only 830 registered Muslims and that
      number was holding steady and not drastically increasing. Our research had
      indicated that the Pagan numbers increased by about 25 per month or 100 per
      quarter/400 per year. Using simple projections, the numbers of Wiccans
      alone would outnumber Islam by Spring 2004.

      #4) We currently have no statistics for the rest of the Armed Services/DOD,
      even though they have SIDPERS and other means of collecting data. If we
      pretend that each branch had the same numbers (1400 each), that would be
      over 5,000 Active Duty Pagans.

      Rona Russell
      MPN, IIMM

      Happiness is more generally and equally diffus'd among Savages than in
      civilized societies. No European who has tasted savage life can afterwards
      bear to live in our societies.
      -Benjamin Franklin, 1770
    • RitBodyArt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2003
        #4) We currently have no statistics for the rest of the Armed Services/DOD,
        even though they have SIDPERS and other means of collecting data.   If we
        pretend that each branch had the same numbers (1400 each), that would be
        over 5,000 Active Duty Pagans.
        We would have to change that number because of the difference in sizes of the different arms. The Army is significantly larger than the zoomies, so is the Navy, the Corps is smaller and so is the Coast Guard. In other words, I think the 5,000 figure is a little low and that a good guess might be something like 6,500-7,000.
      • Sandi Rust
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 2003
          there were a lot of pagans in the Navy when I was in
          back during Desert Storm.. The USS Thorn (FF)had most
          of its crew attending the same coven.

          San

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • RitBodyArt@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2003
            In a message dated 12/31/2003 12:17:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, feo2mouse@... writes:
            there were a lot of pagans in the Navy when I was in
            back during Desert Storm.. The USS Thorn (FF)had most
            of its crew attending the same coven.
            Can you contact any of these people and invite them to join us or send me their email addresses and I will invite them?