7882Re: Curious, anyone interested in going back to the original purpose of this sit

    May 7, 2009
      --- In Pagan-Headstone-Campaign@yahoogroups.com, "David" <celt3067@...> wrote:

      > Charles,
      >
      > Could you provide a copy or link to the rules now in effect? I've checked the VA's web site and don't see any instructions on how to request a new emblem.

      "Important Notice - New Law Concerning Eligibility for Headstones and Markers - Public Law 110-157, signed on Dec. 26, 2007, allows the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to furnish a Government headstone or marker for the graves of eligible veterans who died on or after Nov. 1, 1990, regardless of whether the grave is already marked with a privately purchased headstone or marker. Under the previous law, when the grave was already marked, only veterans who died on or after Sept. 11, 2001 were eligible. Public Law 110-157, also gives VA authority to "furnish, upon request, a medallion or other device of a design determined by the Secretary to signify the deceased's status as a veteran, to be attached to a headstone or marker furnished at private expense." This benefit will be available in lieu of a Government furnished headstone or marker, for veterans in privately marked graves who died on or after Nov. 1, 1990. We currently estimate the medallion will be available in summer 2009. Please continue to monitor the new medallion web page for updated information regarding this new benefit. Important: Eligible veterans are entitled to either a Government-furnished headstone or marker, or the new device, but not both. If you think you may be interested in submitting a claim for the new medallion, we will begin accepting claims once a contract has been awarded for the manufacture of this new product. Claim instructions will be posted on this website. If, after seeing the final new medallion design, you change your mind, you will still have the option to apply for a traditional Government-furnished headstone or marker. There is no change in eligibility for veterans in unmarked graves: Regardless of the date of death, VA will furnish, at no charge to the applicant, a Government headstone or marker for the unmarked grave of any eligible veteran in any cemetery around the world. Note: There is no charge for the headstone or marker itself, however arrangements for placing it in a private cemetery are the applicant's responsibility and all setting fees are at private expense.

      > They have bold notes regarding the eligibility of a marker, headstone or one of the new medallions but nothing obvious about asking for an emblem to be requested that's not on the list.

      Will post more soonest.

      > As I understand, the new rules which were posted for public review in 2007 have not yet been approved & adopted with the changes resulting in the public review.
      >
      > Please share if you have info regarding any new rules on requesting a new emblem.
      >
      > Thanks.

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic