7107Re: [Pagan-Headstone-Campaign] can you believe there are pagan who don't think we are oppressed as a religion?

    Apr 4, 2007

      Hello Autumn,

      Thursday, April 5, 2007, 1:20:10 AM, you wrote:

      AZ> I thought this group was safe but I was in two groups who claim that

      AZ> our religion is equal to that of other religions.

      AZ> Said I have no idea what oppression is and stuff.

      AZ> Might I add they were very emotionally abusive.

      AZ> I was shocked.

      Basic human nature is pretty animal-ish. A very basic element is fear of anything different. We don't like to admit it, and with time and practice at being civilized, we have learned to deal with it.. but it is a very basic survival instinct, and it is still there. It manifests in many ways, including bias against others because of the way they believe. We all have that tendency.

      Get a majority of something gathered up - and that tendency can come out against a different minority. Always. About anything.

      So. Are we oppressed? Well, sure.. if one chooses to feel that way. You can choose the "I'm Pagan (or female/male, short/tall, *different race*, etc etc) and I am so oppressed" attitude. Or, not. I choose the not :-) I believe if all that you look for is the negative, then that is what you will always see - so why not (cliche time) take the high road, give the benefit of the doubt, and keep a positive attitude?

      Of course, looking out for yourself IS important and if someone is trying to get away with abusing you for your religion, you need to act... but you do not have to be a victim. Nor should you be emotionally abused by those who differ in their opinions with you about religious bias... if they are hurting you.. you don't need to accept their opinion... let go, move on, it's a big world :-)

      Blessings,

      Connie

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic