Mideast: Israel protests Google's switch to 'Palestine'

  • sitrep_comalp
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2013

      Mideast: Israel protests Google's switch to 'Palestine'

      'We follow UN lead', Google replies

      03 May, 17:23

       Mideast: Israel protests Google's switch to 'Palestine'

      (ANSAmed) - TEL AVIV - Internet giant Google on Friday changed the tagline on its Palestinian edition from ''Palestinian territories'' to ''Palestine'' in a move foreign ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor called ''surprising''. In November, the UN General Assembly overwhelmingly voted to upgrade the status of its Palestinian mission to that of non-member observer state.

      ''This begs the question of whether there is room for any political stance on controversial issues on behalf of what is basically a private Internet company'', Palmor said. ''Google is not a political or diplomatic entity, so they can call anything by any name, it has no diplomatic or political significance'', he added.

      ''We consult a number of sources and authorities when naming countries'', Google spokesman Nathan Tyler said. ''In this case, we are following the lead of the UN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and other international organizations''.

      http://ansamed.ansa.it/ansamed/en/news/sections/politics/2013/05/03/Mideast-Israel-protests-Google-switch-Palestine-_8649227.html

    • sitrep_comalp
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2013

        Mideast: Israel asks Google to revise position on Palestine

        Deputy foreign minister writes letter to Larry Page

        06 May, 13:26

         Google Palestine

        (ANSAmed) - TEL AVIV - Israel has asked Google to reconsider its decision a few weeks ago to stop using the term 'Palestinian Territories' in favour of 'Palestine', claiming it would have a 'negative impact' on efforts to restart Israeli-Palestinian peace talks. In a letter sent by Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister Zeev Elkin to Goggle CEO Larry Page quoted by the media, Elkin said that 'Google in this way recognizes the existence of a Palestinian state'. 'I think the decision is not only a mistake but could have a negative impact on my government's efforts to promote direct negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian Authority' .For this reason the deputy foreign minister asked the company to revise its decision given that, as a consequence, it could strengthen the position of Palestinians to try and pursue 'their political objectives unilaterally rather than through bilateral negotiations and accords'. Elkin also proposed a meeting between an Israeli delegation and Goggle representatives 'to discuss the issue'.

        http://ansamed.ansa.it/ansamed/en/news/sections/politics/2013/05/06/Mideast-Israel-asks-Google-revise-position-Palestine_8659540.html