Re: Turkey: domestic violence kills over 350 women in 4 years

  • sitrep_comalp
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013

      Turkey: gov't introduces anti-violence bracelet for women

      Sex crimes up by 400% in past nine years, one woman killed a day

      15 January, 19:07

      (ANSAmed) - ANKARA, JANUARY 15 - The Turkish family ministry is introducing an anti-violence bracelet to protect women, officials announced Tuesday.

      The bracelet, which has been tested successfully in Adana and Bursa provinces, contains a button to alert police in case of aggression. Violence against women is endemic in Turkey, where one woman a day is killed and 7,000 at-risk women have been placed under court-mandated protection, according to Hurriyet newspaper. Sex crimes have risen by 400% in the past nine years, with 33,000 scuh crimes reported in 2011, up from 8,000 in 2002, according to prosecutor Veli San.

    • sitrep_comalp
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10 12:45 PM

        Woman says life in danger as abusive husband released

        Sunday, August 7, 2011
        ISTANBUL – Hürriyet Daily News with wires

        Gülten Coşkun fell from a balcony as she tried to run away from her abusive husband, yet she was rescued. DHA photo
        Gülten Coşkun fell from a balcony as she tried to run away from her abusive husband, yet she was rescued. DHA photo

        A woman who fell from a balcony as she tried to run away from her abusive husband has said her husband was released from the police station while she was still lying at the hospital.

        “My life is in danger now,” said Gülten Coşkun, a 31-year-old newlywed woman who was beaten up by her husband, Mehmet Akif Coşkun, on the 10th day of their marriage and fell from a balcony while trying to escape the violence, Anatolian Agency reported.

        Coşkun said her husband, with whom her marriage was arranged - has been threatening her since they were engaged.

        “In the first four days of our marriage he was very nice, but on the fifth day, after we had an argument, he beat me up, spit in my face and insulted me for five hours. I didn’t tell my family about any of this. I was covering the bruises with makeup when I visited them. And if someone asked, then I made up a story, like the door shut on me.”

        Coşkun said her husband did not let her go outside the apartment or see anyone.

        “The day we had an argument he started threatening to kill me and my family. I was scared and ran to the balcony off the kitchen and called the police. When my husband heard me calling for help, he broke down the kitchen door and attacked me,” said Coşkun.

        Coşkun said she thought her husband was going to kill her. “I tried to escape from the balcony by holding onto the drain pipe, but I panicked and lost my balance. I fell from the fifth floor to the balcony on the second floor,” she said.

        Coşkun was rescued from the second floor balcony with the help of a fire truck and taken to the hospital by the police. Coşkun said she broke both of her legs in the fall.

        Mehmet Akif Coşkun was caught by the police after fleeing the apartment, but he was released just after he was caught, while Gülten Coşkun was still under treatment at the hospital.

        “My life is in danger. I expect protection for me and my family from the police. I expect support from the prime minister. I am so scared for myself and my family,” said Gülten Coşkun.

        Meanwhile, Family and Social Policies Minister Fatma Şahin has applied to the Interior Ministry to request a special police force be created for fighting against domestic violence. Under the plans, if the request is accepted, a specially trained police unit will be responsible for responding to incidents related to domestic violence.

      • sitrep_comalp
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10 12:45 PM

          Turkey: first shelter for male domestic violence victims

          Men victims of 'psychological violence', family minister says

          12 February, 19:29

          (ANSAmed) - ANKARA, FEBRUARY 12 - Turkish Family Minister Fatma Sahin on Tuesday announced the creation of the first public shelter for male victims of domestic violence, local media reported. The announcement came as a surprise in a country where on average, more than one woman per day is killed by a husband or an ex, and in which 39% of women have suffered some form of physical violence, according to a recent UN report. The first shelter with 30-person capacity will open in Istanbul, where most reports of men suffering domestic violence are filed. It will be in a secret location, under police protection and with bars on the windows, the minister explained.

          ''Women suffer physical violence, men suffer psychological violence, but to a far lesser degree than women,'' Zaman daily online cited Sahin as saying.

        • sitrep_comalp
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2014

            Turkey: report on violence against women tip of the iceberg

            According to Istanbul-based Independent Communications Network

            21 February, 09:32

            (ANSAmed) - ISTANBUL, FEBRUARY 21 - Independent Communications Network (Bianet), an Istanbul-based NGO and news portal, announced that violence against women in Turkey increased in 2013 compared to the previous year. According to Bianet's annual report, 214 women were murdered, 167 were raped and 161 were sexually abused by men in 2013. In 2012, the number of women murdered was 165 compared to 214 in 2013. Serpil Kemalbay, representative of the Women's Trade Union Initiative (IMECE), blamed the increase on the conservative and male-dominant policies of the current government. "Male violence is being viewed as legitimate," she told SES Turkiye. "The government needs to adopt a definite position on the subject. Currently, the laws are protecting the family, not women." According to Bianet's tally, 13.5% of the women killed in 2013 had previously applied for protection. Preliminary injunctions against 13 men were in place when they committed murders. Four women were killed immediately after the injunctions against their murderers were over. Twelve victims were in the process of filing complaints against their murderers at the time of their deaths.

            Four men killed their victims during their probation period or shortly after their paroles. Some 49% of the women were killed by their husbands, 13% were killed by relatives, and 12% were killed by their lovers. Ten percent were killed by their ex-husbands or ex-lovers, 5% were killed by their fathers.

            According to the report, one reason for violence that stands out the most is women's demand for a divorce.

          • sitrep_comalp
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 15, 2014

              Majority of educated women victim of violence in Turkey, survey reveals

              ISTANBUL

              A large majority of Turkish women who work in white-collar jobs and have a university degrees say they have been exposed to some kind of violence at least once in their life, according to a recent survey conducted by the Business Against Domestic Violence-BADV project.

              A total of 75 percent of female respondents who work in white-collar jobs and are university graduates said they were exposed to violence at least once in their lives, according to the survey, which was conducted by the Sabancı Univeristy’s Corporate Governance of Turkey with the support of the Dutch government’s Matra fund and the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA).

              The survey revealed that 8 percent of women were exposed to "physical violence," while 17 percent said they were exposed to "economic violence." Forty percent of respondents said they were exposed to "psychological or emotional violence" while 35 percent said they were exposed to "violence in society" at least once.

              Male employers also participated in the survey, responding to questions about their relations with their partners. Among male university graduates, 37.5 percent said they committed at least one type of violence against their female partners. This rate dropped to 24.5 percent among male respondents who are only high school graduates.

              Some 16 percent of female respondents said they did not break up with their partner after the violence because of possible financial problems. In addition, 35 percent of women who work in white-collar jobs said their salary does not allow them to meet ends for themselves and their children.

              At a Dec. 9 panel held in Istanbul on the project and survey results, Dutch Consul General Robert Schuddeboom said violence against women was a serious problem across the world.

              “We cannot accept a world in which victims of violence cannot complain with fear of being humiliated and the perpetrators will remain unpunished,” said Schuddeboom.

              Sabancı Univeristy’s Corporate Governance of Turkey Director Melsa Ararat said the survey was conducted at 19 firms that volunteered for the survey.

              She said 30 percent of women who were exposed to violence did not share it with anyone, although a majority of the victims share it with their friends or neighbors. A total of 30 percent of women said they temporarily left their homes after being exposed to domestic violence.

              December/10/2014

              http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/majority-of-educated-women-victim-of-violence-in-turkey-survey-reveals.aspx?pageID=238&nID=75473&NewsCatID=509