DEFENCE:ITALY'S ARMS FIRM MBDA SEEKS PARTNERSHIP WITH TURKEY

  • marco.pertoni@libero.it
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2011

      DEFENCE:ITALY'S ARMS FIRM MBDA SEEKS PARTNERSHIP WITH TURKEY

      07 December , 11:07

      (ANSAmed) - ANKARA, DECEMBER 7 - World giants in the defense industry are vying for the 4 billion US dollars long-range missile system tender launched by Turkey. The US is competing for the tender with its Patriot missiles, Russia with S-400s, China with the FD-2000, and the French-Italian partnership Eurosam is competing with its Samp/T model missiles. Italian defense industry professionals frequently visiting Turkey ahead of the tender have promised Turkey ''technology transfers,'' as Today's Zaman writes.

      Eurosam's Italian partner MBDA Vice President in charge of export operations Sergio Cavicchi said they were targeting a strategic partnership with Turkey, adding that in the past companies in the Italian defense industry saw Turkey as just a purchaser of products. ''We have a different strategy now. The Turkish defense industry is developing, and overall competition in the world is getting fiercer. If we get the tender, we will carry our technology and know-how in this regard to Turkey, and we will market these missiles to the world together,'' Cavicchi said to a group of journalists from Turkey during a tour of his company's facilities. Turkey plans to procure four defense systems under the Long Range Regional Air and Missile Defense System Project. However, the country may decrease the number of missile batteries if a large number of missiles are placed in Turkey under a planned NATO missile shield project. (ANSAmed).

      http://www.ansamed.info/en/news/ME.YAK33010.html