Ayesha Ashmin in Sri Venkataramana Swami College!

  • Aleem Faizee
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 2:59 AM

      Ayesha Ashmin in Sri Venkataramana Swami College!

      Monday, August 31, 2009 02:51:55 PM, Dr. Narendra Nayak

      Do we of the rationalistic humanistic bent of mind support the freedom of dress of some one however regressive that may appear to us? Do we say secularism at all costs including prescribing a dress code for college students? This is the dilemma that we are facing as of now. If one is going to enforce a dress code what about the Sikhs who wear turbans and beards? If they be allowed to dress as per the dictats of their religion, why not the others? If priests and nuns, under religious training and also studying in secular educational institutions; are allowed to dress according to the rules of their order why not the others? Most of the institutions prescribe trousers and shirts for their male students which were identified at one time with the Christian missionaries and one could argue that it has connections with that religion! That could also apply to white shirts tucked into khakhi shorts worn by you know who!

      http://ummid.com/news/august/31.08.2009/ayesha_ashmin_in_svs_college.htm