50440Update from Kevadia - Gujarat

    Nov 2, 2013
      Dear Friends,
      The support and solidarity we received from all of you, from local, national and international level, be it in terms of solidarity messages, passing on the information through social networking sites, or petitioning authorities be it the National Human Rights Commission or the Governor of Gujarat, etc remains a great help in our common quest for justice. As we are aware that the space for civil society to voice a decent is shrinking. This immediate intervention, support and presence of friends in media proved to be an effective  deterrent for the government of Gujarat and Gujarat police against further intimidation of villagers and activists. We could not respond to each one of you separately.

      Sharing though the updates on the developments ever since.
      We were released from the house arrest at about 2.00 p.m. on October 31st and immediately went to the Jeetnagar Police Headquarters where the other activists and village leaders were kept. We insisted that as they were picked up from their home without any reason the police must make arrangements to send them in the villages from where they were picked up. At about 3.00 p.m. police arranged for the vehicles for all the people and we went to the village Indravarna along with them. We had a small meeting in village with people. Women and youth shared their experiences of police intimidation. People reported that, hardly 150 local people (mainly BJP local elected leaders) from 70 villages had participated in October 31st meeting of Mr. Narendra Modi.
      At the end of the meeting the morale of people remains high. The police action clearly shows the effectiveness of people���s movement. Further programmes for protests will be determined in near future.
      In solidarity,
      Lakhan Musafir        Dipen Desai Rohit Prajapati         Swati Desai   Trupti Shah
      Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti

               Rohit P rajapati & T rupti S hah
               37, Patrakar Colony, Tandalja Road,
               Post-Akota, Vadodara - 390 020