PUCL Press Statement on grant of Bail to Binayak Sen

  • Sandeep Vaidya
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15 12:00 PM
      PUCL Press Statement on grant of Bail to Binayak Sen

      PUCL welcomes the Supreme Court judgment granting bail to Binayak Sen. It
      symbolizes institutional strength of our country in preserving our basic rights.
      The court’s implied observation that mere possession of allegedly seditious
      material is no reason for charging and branding someone anti-national is a
      matter of satisfaction for us. PUCL firmly believes that it is time to revisit
      laws related to the sedition that have been subject of rampant abuse by the
      central and the state governments. We believe that there are thousands of
      Binayaks languishing in several jails in the country in the name of sedition
      while they merely exercised their democratic rights of opposing government
      policies or held views contrary to the establishment. PUCL hopes that the
      country will sustains the present movement to resist curbs on our civil
      liberties that has become a rule than an exception for our governments at the
      center and the state level in contemporary times.

      --
      Pushkar Raj
      General Secretary, PUCL

      PUCL National Office:
      270-A, Ground Floor, Patpar Ganj, Mayur Vihar-I, Delhi-110091
      Ph. 011-22750014, 09810656100
      www.pucl.org