BREAKING NEWS - NY high court decides against gay marriage

  • Puerto Rico Para Tod@s
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2006
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11669250/

      N.Y. high court decides against gay marriage

      State law doesn't permit gay, lesbian couples to marry, justices rule
      4-2

      ALBANY, N.Y. - New York's highest court ruled Thursday that gay
      marriage is not allowed under state law.

      The Court of Appeals in a 4-2 decision rejected arguments from gay
      and lesbian plaintiffs throughout the state that their inability to
      get marriage licences in New York violated their constitutional
      rights.

      Judge Robert Smith said New York's marriage law clearly limits
      marriage to between a man and a woman and any change in the law
      should come from the state legislature.

      We do not predict what people will think generations from now, but we
      believe the present generation should have a chance to decide the
      issue through its elected representatives," Smith wrote

      Governor Pataki's state Health Department and state Attorney General
      Eliot Spitzer's office have argued that New York law prohibits
      issuing licenses to same-sex couples. The state had prevailed in
      lower appeals courts.

      The judges declined to follow the lead of high court judges in
      neighboring Massachusetts, who ruled that same-sex couples in that
      state have the same right to wed as straight couples.

      The four cases decided Thursday were filed two years ago when the
      Massachusetts decision helped usher in a spate of gay marriage
      controversies from Boston to San Francisco. In New York, the mayor of
      the Hudson Valley village of New Paltz married about two dozen gay
      couples in February 2004.

      With little hope of getting a gay marriage bill signed into law in
      Albany, advocates from the ACLU, Lambda Legal and other advocacy
      groups marshaled forces for a court fight. Forty-four couples acted
      as plaintiffs in the suits, including the brother of comedian Rosie
      O'Donnell and his longtime partner.

      "It's a sad day for New York families," said plaintiff Kathy Burke of
      Schenectady. "My family deserves the same protections as my next door
      neighbors."

      Burke and her partner of seven years, Tonja Alvis, are raising her 11-
      year-old son.

      © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may
      not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.