Matrimonio en Sur Africa / Freedom to Marry E-Update Issue #7

  • Pedro Julio Serrano
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005
      Bi-Monthly E-Update from Freedom to Marry, Issue #7

      Hola!

      Si en Africa del Sur , que sólo hace 12 años eliminó su Apartheid, se pudo lograr la igualdad en la matrimonio para los gays y lesbianas… en Puerto Rico y en Estados Unidos también será posible… es cuestión de tiempo.

      Aquí te envío el Nuevo E-update de Freedom to Marry – suscríbete y envíalo a tus contactos…

      Siempre,

      PJ

      Pedro Julio Serrano

      Communications Associate / Executive Assistant

      Freedom to Marry

      116 West 23rd Street, Suite 500, New York , NY 10011

      t. 212.851.8418 x7 / f. 646.375.2069 / m. 787.602.5954

      pedrojulio@... / www.freedomtomarry.org

      http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2005-12-01T094214Z_01_HO134549_RTRUKOC_0_US-SAFRICA-GAY.xml&archived=False

      Court sets South Africa on course for gay marriage
      Thu Dec 1, 2005 4:42 AM ET

      JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South Africa 's high court on Thursday said it was unconstitutional to deny gay people the right to marry and instructed parliament to amend marriage laws to include same-sex unions within the year.

      The Constitutional Court ruling put South Africa on course to become at least the world's fifth country to permit same-sex marriage and the first in Africa, where homosexuality remains largely taboo.

      The court, ruling on a government appeal against a lower court order which opened the door to gay marriage, said parliament would have one year to change the current definition of marriage which holds that it is between a husband and wife.

      Gay activists have argued that the official law should be changed to read "spouse" in order to include same-sex partners.

      "The current definition of marriage is considered to be inconsistent with the constitution ... the declaration of validity (of the marriage definition) is extended for 12 months after this judgment to remedy the defect," the ruling said.

      The court said that if parliament did not act the legal definition of marriage would be automatically changed to include same-sex unions. That would put South Africa alongside Belgium , the Netherlands , Spain and Canada in allowing gay marriages.

      Only one of the court's 11 judges dissented from the ruling, arguing the court should have legalized gay marriage with immediate effect.

      Post-apartheid South Africa has one of the most progressive constitutions in the world and the only one to specifically enshrine equal rights for gays and lesbians.

      But the government has resisted efforts to broaden the official definition of marriage in the courts, arguing that only parliament should have the right to make the change.

      Leading churches have argued against the move, saying it flouted public opinion in the mainly Christian country, and called for a referendum on the divisive issue.

      Lawyers for gay rights groups said they were disappointed that the court did not act to make gay marriages legal immediately.

      "It's a bit disappointing. It feels like it's one step forward and still another one step backwards," said Keketso Maema, a lawyer for the Lesbian and Gay Equality project.

      "The good thing about this judgment is if parliament doesn't do anything in 12 months the word 'spouse' would be read into the marriage act. That gets us somewhere," she said.

      The ruling puts South Africa out of step with much of Africa , where many countries outlaw homosexuality and publicly condemned it as "un-African."

      © Reuters 2005