Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs

  • flywheel@premier1.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 9, 2001
      Katie

      Yes, the LCC (Letterpress Conversion Compound) does change the color of the
      ink as well, but that's good. When you're trying to mix a PMS color, we
      almost always have to add opaque white to the mix in order to get the exact
      match we want. We never use the trans. white that the formulas call for
      because that only thins the ink to the point where the color isn't anywhere
      at all what we want. The LCC was designed to bring the mixed color back to
      where it should be for letterpress. If you follow the formula exactly as
      written in the PMS books, you will never get your color match. Those PMS
      colors as designed for offset printing which, obviously, puts ink down in a
      whole different way than letterpress. The LCC works similarly to straight
      opaque white only it's got ten times the body which makes for a wonderful
      letterpress printing ink.

      My guess about the PMS 279 BLue Wax Free ink would be that it's just regular
      old oil base ink without wax (an additive that was put into ink in order to
      reduce its tack and increase its flow). At least I think that's what it was
      for. I am in no way an expert on ink, but I know what works when I see it,
      and I've been looking for this LCC for years. I never had much luck with
      magnesium carbonate and it doesn't work nearly as well as this LCC.

      The reason I've been going on and on about this LCC is that I want to try
      and help develop a market for it so that it will be around when next I need
      to order it. The more people who buy it, the likelier its survival.

      Chris Stern
      Stern & Faye, Printers
      Sedro-Woolley, WA
      98284

      ----------
      >From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
      >To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
      >Date: Sun, Sep 9, 2001, 6:07 AM
      >

      > Dear Mark and Chris:
      >
      > I'm used to mag carbonate but have not heard about the products that you
      > like that add extra body to inks. My question is this: do they add any color
      > at all? Seems like something like the white Chris describes or even the
      > "window putty" that Mark likes would also tend to change the color of the
      > ink that it is mixed with.
      >
      > I just purchased an entire letterpress shop that includes, among many other
      > wonderful things, cans and cans and cans of ink, mostly in 5# cans, all
      > sealed as new. I have no idea what type of ink they contain, but I suspect
      > that the guy who owned the shop I purchased probably himself purchased
      > another letterpress shop going out of business, although these could well be
      > offset inks. Most were packed about 1990-91. One description, for example,
      > from the Wickoff Color Corporation, is for PMS 279 Blue Wax Free. Does
      > anyone know what type of ink this is?
      >
      > Katie Harper
      >

      > Remember: Book arts will save the world!

    • Mark Attwood
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 10, 2001
        Hi Katie,

        theoretically whatever additive you put in the ink should affect the colour,
        but I guess the amount is so small compared to the amount of pigment in the
        ink that it is not noticeable, except for perhaps really light or
        transparent colours.

        Mark.

        Mark Attwood

        The Artists' Press
        Box 623
        Newtown
        2113
        South Africa

        Tel. +27 11 836 5474
        fax. +27 11 836 6858
        mark@...

        ----------

      • Katie Harper
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 10, 2001
          Thanks to all who responded to my query about ink additives. When I was in
          graduate school as a printmaker, I once had a half day workshop on ink
          additives... I confess I wasn't as enthralled as I might have been, not
          thinking it probably would be useful one day...

          I also got another reply offline from Dan at Indian Hill press, and am
          posting it here for those of you who were curious, as I was, about "Wax-free
          inks."

          Dear Katie:

          Just got your bulletin on the Letterpress list.

          Wax-free inks are important to printers who to do hot foil-stamping
          on top of a printed surface. If the ink contains wax, the heat will
          melt it and the foil will not adhere. Wax-free ink generally dries
          very quickly, so don't leave it on your press overnight. It is also a
          specialty ink, and more expensive than general job inks.

          Best,
          Dan Waters
          Indian Hill Press

          Remember: Book arts will save the world!

          > From: "Mark Attwood" <mark@...>
          > Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:29:29 +0000
          > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
          >
          > Hi Katie,
          >
          > theoretically whatever additive you put in the ink should affect the colour,
          > but I guess the amount is so small compared to the amount of pigment in the
          > ink that it is not noticeable, except for perhaps really light or
          > transparent colours.
          >
          > Mark.
          >

          > Mark Attwood
          >
          > The Artists' Press
          > Box 623
          > Newtown
          > 2113
          > South Africa
          >
          > Tel. +27 11 836 5474
          > fax. +27 11 836 6858
          > mark@...
          >

          > ----------
          >> From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
          >> To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
          >> Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
          >> Date: Sun, Sep 9, 2001, 1:07 pm
          >>

          >> Dear Mark and Chris:
          >>
          >> I'm used to mag carbonate but have not heard about the products that you
          >> like that add extra body to inks. My question is this: do they add any color
          >> at all? Seems like something like the white Chris describes or even the
          >> "window putty" that Mark likes would also tend to change the color of the
          >> ink that it is mixed with.
          >>
          >> I just purchased an entire letterpress shop that includes, among many other
          >> wonderful things, cans and cans and cans of ink, mostly in 5# cans, all
          >> sealed as new. I have no idea what type of ink they contain, but I suspect
          >> that the guy who owned the shop I purchased probably himself purchased
          >> another letterpress shop going out of business, although these could well be
          >> offset inks. Most were packed about 1990-91. One description, for example,
          >> from the Wickoff Color Corporation, is for PMS 279 Blue Wax Free. Does
          >> anyone know what type of ink this is?
          >>
          >> Katie Harper
          >>

          >> Remember: Book arts will save the world!
          >>

          >>> From: "Mark Attwood" <mark@...>
          >>> Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 14:37:31 +0000
          >>> To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          >>> Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
          >>>
          >>> Hi Gerald,
          >>>
          >>> I don't know what the ingredients of aerosol/Arosil? are, but I first heard
          >>> about it from someone at Smith College, USA, and when I spoke to the local
          >>> Johannesburg ink manufacturers (two different ones), they knew exactly what
          >>> I was talking about, and could give me what I wanted.
          >>>
          >>> Let me know if you find out the correct name!
          >>>
          >>> regards,
          >>> Mark.
          >>>

          >>> Mark Attwood
          >>>
          >>> The Artists' Press
          >>> Box 623
          >>> Newtown
          >>> 2113
          >>> South Africa
          >>>
          >>> Tel. +27 11 836 5474
          >>> fax. +27 11 836 6858
          >>> mark@...
          >>>

          >>> ----------

        • Terrence Chouinard
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 10, 2001
            > I never had much luck with
            > magnesium carbonate and it doesn't work nearly as well as this LCC.

            Chris
            I'm guessing the LCC doesn't dry out your ink as fast as magnesium carbonate
            does. Any sense if this is the case or not?

            Terry

            Terrence Chouinard
            the Wing & the Wheel Press
            Box 216