Re: Galley magnets...

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4 11:32 AM
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, <jason@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know where to find galley magnets?
      > [. . .] I'd like to get my hands on some more of these:

      Foster is probably still in business, but discontinued galley magnets
      a long time ago. I understand NA Graphics is making their own now, but
      I don't know the price.
      They're just made from stock rectangular magnets, epoxy and pieces of
      steel, so it wouldn't be hard to make them yourself.
      On eBay they tend to be bid up.
      Eric Holub, SF
    • jason@greenboathouse.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4 11:47 AM
        Thanks Paul & Lance,

        I've a few other things I need from NA as well, so this is convenient.

        Speaking of which, what's the proper name for the small copper guides on the gripper bar (I need some of those)?

        Jason

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4 1:46 PM
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, <jason@...> wrote:

          > Speaking of which, what's the proper name for the small copper
          guides on the gripper bar (I need some of those)?

          On a Vandercook? "Sheet guides"and they vary on different models.
          On the 325, SP-20, Universal: an LB-7.
          On No. 3 or No. 4: an MB-112.
          Other models, check parts list.
          --Eric Holub, SF
        • nagraph1
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5 2:30 AM
            We have several hundred of the LB-7 in stock, put the appropriate bend
            in it and it becomes the MB-112. LB-7 also used on SP-15.

            Fritz

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, <jason@> wrote:
            >
            > > Speaking of which, what's the proper name for the small copper
            > guides on the gripper bar (I need some of those)?
            > >
            > On a Vandercook? "Sheet guides"and they vary on different models.
            > On the 325, SP-20, Universal: an LB-7.
            > On No. 3 or No. 4: an MB-112.
            > Other models, check parts list.
            > --Eric Holub, SF

          • nagraph1
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5 2:38 AM
              Lance is correct that we sell galley magnets. We assemble them here
              using Bunting magnets and custom made side steel pieces and they are
              very strong. I'm presently having more side pieces made and will be
              back in stock shortly. The magnet shown was made by Foster
              Manufacturing, and they are still in business, but absolutely refuse
              to make magnets or any of their former letterpress line that included
              galleys, galley cabinets and related.

              Fritz

            • jason@greenboathouse.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5 7:59 AM
                Thanks for responding Fritz. I've sent a couple of emails to you with a list of other items I'd like to order, but perhaps I have the wrong email address?

                Jason