RE: [PPLetterpress] Galley magnets...

  • Lance Williams
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
      Jason,

      When in need, always check NA Graphics:

      http://tinyurl.com/5qqs49

      1/2" x 3/4" x 1-3/4" $4.95 each

      - Lance Williams
      Williams Stationery Co.
      Camden, New York
      APA #785

      of photographs of one magnet that I have, which is very handy, and I'd like
      to get my hands on some more of these:

      > http://www.greenboathouse.com/_ftp/misc/DSC01570.jpg
      >
      > http://www.greenboathouse.com/_ftp/misc/DSC01567.jpg
      >

      > Jason
      >
      > _____________________________
      >
      > Jason Dewinetz
      > www.greenboathouse.com/dewinetz

      7:19 PM

    • parallel_imp
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, <jason@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know where to find galley magnets?
        > [. . .] I'd like to get my hands on some more of these:

        Foster is probably still in business, but discontinued galley magnets
        a long time ago. I understand NA Graphics is making their own now, but
        I don't know the price.
        They're just made from stock rectangular magnets, epoxy and pieces of
        steel, so it wouldn't be hard to make them yourself.
        On eBay they tend to be bid up.
        Eric Holub, SF
      • jason@greenboathouse.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
          Thanks Paul & Lance,

          I've a few other things I need from NA as well, so this is convenient.

          Speaking of which, what's the proper name for the small copper guides on the gripper bar (I need some of those)?

          Jason

          > Does anyone know where to find galley magnets? Here are links to a couple
          of photographs of one magnet that I have, which is very handy, and I'd like
          to get my hands on some more of these:

          > http://www.greenboathouse.com/_ftp/misc/DSC01570.jpg
          >
          > http://www.greenboathouse.com/_ftp/misc/DSC01567.jpg
          >

          > Jason
          >
          > _____________________________
          >
          > Jason Dewinetz
          > www.greenboathouse.com/dewinetz

          7:19 PM

        • parallel_imp
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, <jason@...> wrote:

            > Speaking of which, what's the proper name for the small copper
            guides on the gripper bar (I need some of those)?

            On a Vandercook? "Sheet guides"and they vary on different models.
            On the 325, SP-20, Universal: an LB-7.
            On No. 3 or No. 4: an MB-112.
            Other models, check parts list.
            --Eric Holub, SF
          • nagraph1
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
              We have several hundred of the LB-7 in stock, put the appropriate bend
              in it and it becomes the MB-112. LB-7 also used on SP-15.

              Fritz

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, <jason@> wrote:
              >
              > > Speaking of which, what's the proper name for the small copper
              > guides on the gripper bar (I need some of those)?
              > >
              > On a Vandercook? "Sheet guides"and they vary on different models.
              > On the 325, SP-20, Universal: an LB-7.
              > On No. 3 or No. 4: an MB-112.
              > Other models, check parts list.
              > --Eric Holub, SF

            • nagraph1
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
                Lance is correct that we sell galley magnets. We assemble them here
                using Bunting magnets and custom made side steel pieces and they are
                very strong. I'm presently having more side pieces made and will be
                back in stock shortly. The magnet shown was made by Foster
                Manufacturing, and they are still in business, but absolutely refuse
                to make magnets or any of their former letterpress line that included
                galleys, galley cabinets and related.

                Fritz

              • jason@greenboathouse.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
                  Thanks for responding Fritz. I've sent a couple of emails to you with a list of other items I'd like to order, but perhaps I have the wrong email address?

                  Jason