Galley magnets...

  • jason@greenboathouse.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
      Does anyone know where to find galley magnets? Here are links to a couple of photographs of one magnet that I have, which is very handy, and I'd like to get my hands on some more of these:

      http://www.greenboathouse.com/_ftp/misc/DSC01570.jpg

      http://www.greenboathouse.com/_ftp/misc/DSC01567.jpg

      Jason

      _____________________________

      Jason Dewinetz
      www.greenboathouse.com/dewinetz

    • Lance Williams
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
        Jason,

        When in need, always check NA Graphics:

        http://tinyurl.com/5qqs49

        1/2" x 3/4" x 1-3/4" $4.95 each

        - Lance Williams
        Williams Stationery Co.
        Camden, New York
        APA #785

      • parallel_imp
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, <jason@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know where to find galley magnets?
          > [. . .] I'd like to get my hands on some more of these:

          Foster is probably still in business, but discontinued galley magnets
          a long time ago. I understand NA Graphics is making their own now, but
          I don't know the price.
          They're just made from stock rectangular magnets, epoxy and pieces of
          steel, so it wouldn't be hard to make them yourself.
          On eBay they tend to be bid up.
          Eric Holub, SF
        • jason@greenboathouse.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
            Thanks Paul & Lance,

            I've a few other things I need from NA as well, so this is convenient.

            Speaking of which, what's the proper name for the small copper guides on the gripper bar (I need some of those)?

            Jason

            > Does anyone know where to find galley magnets? Here are links to a couple
            of photographs of one magnet that I have, which is very handy, and I'd like
            to get my hands on some more of these:

            > http://www.greenboathouse.com/_ftp/misc/DSC01570.jpg
            >
            > http://www.greenboathouse.com/_ftp/misc/DSC01567.jpg
            >

            > Jason
            >
            > _____________________________
            >
            > Jason Dewinetz
            > www.greenboathouse.com/dewinetz

            7:19 PM

          • parallel_imp
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, <jason@...> wrote:

              > Speaking of which, what's the proper name for the small copper
              guides on the gripper bar (I need some of those)?

              On a Vandercook? "Sheet guides"and they vary on different models.
              On the 325, SP-20, Universal: an LB-7.
              On No. 3 or No. 4: an MB-112.
              Other models, check parts list.
              --Eric Holub, SF
            • nagraph1
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
                We have several hundred of the LB-7 in stock, put the appropriate bend
                in it and it becomes the MB-112. LB-7 also used on SP-15.

                Fritz

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, <jason@> wrote:
                >
                > > Speaking of which, what's the proper name for the small copper
                > guides on the gripper bar (I need some of those)?
                > >
                > On a Vandercook? "Sheet guides"and they vary on different models.
                > On the 325, SP-20, Universal: an LB-7.
                > On No. 3 or No. 4: an MB-112.
                > Other models, check parts list.
                > --Eric Holub, SF

              • nagraph1
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
                  Lance is correct that we sell galley magnets. We assemble them here
                  using Bunting magnets and custom made side steel pieces and they are
                  very strong. I'm presently having more side pieces made and will be
                  back in stock shortly. The magnet shown was made by Foster
                  Manufacturing, and they are still in business, but absolutely refuse
                  to make magnets or any of their former letterpress line that included
                  galleys, galley cabinets and related.

                  Fritz

                • jason@greenboathouse.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
                    Thanks for responding Fritz. I've sent a couple of emails to you with a list of other items I'd like to order, but perhaps I have the wrong email address?

                    Jason