Upcoming Workshops - Evanston, Illinois

  • Eileen Madden
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13 10:37 AM
      Introduction to Digital Letterpress Printing
      With Stacey Stern of Steracle Press

      10 Weeks from July 22nd � September 16th
      Tuesdays 7 � 10 p.m.

      $360 ($25 for materials)

      In this ten-week class for beginners, you will learn how to make your
      very own polymer plates, and print your designs from them. Stacey
      will take you from your computer image, to film, to plates, to the
      press. You will learn how to operate the equipment, mix inks,
      register plates, and print. In the early sessions, Stacey will
      discuss the traditions of printing, and guide you to the modern
      adaptations that are possible with photopolymer plates. There will be
      time to work on either your own or a collaborative group project.
      Basic computer skills are required - Adobe Illustrator a plus.

      Class size is limited to 6 participants.

      Letterpress WOW!
      With April Sheridan

      Saturday & Sunday
      July 26 � 27th 10:00 � 4:00

      $180 ($10 for materials)

      Come for a quick and creative introduction to the world of traditional
      letterpress printing from wood type. Play with furniture, type sticks,
      reglet and lock-up bars. Learn new meanings for deadlines and
      registration. April has lots of fun facts about the history of wood
      type, and can help you explore how letterforms can be used as images.
      The class will collaborate to make a unique group project. Each
      participant will have a copy to take away at the end of the day on
      Sunday.

      Class size is limited to 6 participants.

      Workshops are held at:

      The Evanston Print & Paper Shop

      1125 Florence

      Evanston, Illinois

      To register contact Eileen or Vanessa at:

      847.475.7674

      or

      eileen@...

      vanessa@...

    • Eileen Madden
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
        We have a new website, and some new class offerings in Evanston.
        Check us out at www.evanstonprintandpaper.com

        We've also got photos of upcoming workshops and from workshops past.

        These are our April/May offerings:

        Intro to Artists� Books

        with Jen Thomas

        Tuesdays, April 7th � May 12th

        7:00 p.m. � 10:00 p.m.

        $241.00

        In this class students will be introduced to several basic book
        structures and image transfer techniques that they can build upon to
        create their own artists� books. Students will be encouraged to view
        the book as a conceptual space and create an artists� book every week
        to fully explore the medium. Leave any preconceived notions at the
        door. No previous bookbinding experience is necessary.

        Limit 8 students

        Altered Books & Found Art

        with Jen Thomas

        Sunday, April 19th

        10:00 a.m. � 4:00 p.m.

        $72.00 (+$20.00 materials fee)

        Have a book or two on your shelf you know you�ll know you�ll never
        read again? Someone give you a biography of Warren G. Harding even
        your library won�t take in donation? Well, it can have a new life, a
        new meaning, a new purpose if you bring it to Altered Books Class.
        Jen will guide you through techniques that will make your book a stage
        for your art. You will sew, glue, paint, cut and draw your books to a
        whole new incarnation, as well as explore found objects that can be
        repurposed into new artist book creations.

        Limit 8 students

        Letterpress Garden Party

        with Stacey Stern

        Saturday, May 9th

        1:00 � 4:00

        $80.00 ($100.00 to personalize)

        Spring will come. Flowers will bloom. We�re so sure, we�re going to
        make letterpress note cards to celebrate the arrival of the flower
        season. Come create your own unique stationery with Stacey Stern of
        Steracle Press (www.steraclepress.com). With her letterpress
        expertise and design magic, Stacey will help you create unique
        ephemera that�s all the buzz.

        Limit 8 students

        Three Non-Adhesive Bindings

        with Juliayn Coleman

        Saturday, May 9th

        10:00 � 5:00

        $150 (+$25.00 materials fee)

        Let�s go back, shall we? Back to a time when everything was made
        better and things worked the way they should. A time when books were
        sewn through the fold, and peace and harmony reigned through
        Alexander�s empire. In this class, we shall go back to that time, not
        just to satisfy our nostalgic impulses, but to learn some pretty cool
        methods for making books that have heartily laughed in the face of
        time. They are still ideal structures for photo albums, portfolios,
        journals, family memoirs, and chapbooks. Open to all skill levels.

        Limit 10 students

        Intro to Digital Letterpress

        with Stacey Stern

        Thursdays, May 21st � July 23rd

        7:00 � 10:00 p.m.

        $385.00 (+$25.00)

        In this ten-week class for beginners, you will learn how to make your
        very own polymer plates, and print your designs from them. Stacey
        will take you from your computer image, to film, to plate, to the
        press. You will learn how to operate the equipment, mix inks,
        register plates, and print. In the early sessions, Stacey will
        discuss the traditions of printing, and guide you to the modern
        adaptations that are possible with photopolymer plates. There will be
        time to work on either your own or a group project.

        Limit 6 participants

      • Eileen Madden
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2011
          There are spaces available in the following workshops.  For more information on these, and to see what's coming in April and May
          visit:

          http:// www.evanstonprint.net

          Bookbinding I (just needs one more person to run! )

          with Jamie Thome

          Wednesdays, Mar 2  -  April 27 (no class April 13)

          7-10 pm

          $360.00 (plus 25.00 materials fee)

          In Bookbinding I, we will start with one piece of paper to create a book.  From there, we will move to several kinds of multiple signature blank books, which we will case in hard covers.  Real books!  Made by hand!  In addition, we’ll talk about adhesives, bookcloth, papers, folding, sewing, endsheets, endbands, gutters and all kinds of good stuff that bookbinders know.

          Portable Papermaking

          with Melissa Jay Craig

          Saturday, Mar 5

          10AM - 4PM

          $90.00  (plus $20.00 materials fee)

          This one-day, information-packed workshop is intended for both beginning papermakers and for people who have experience in papermaking, who do not now have ready access to formal papermaking facilities.

          Melissa Jay Craig has been making paper on residencies and in other situations not specially equipped for papermaking for the past eleven years.  She will share her expertise on everything from storing and re-hydrating pulp, to sheet-forming without a vat or press, to building (and adapting) your own low-cost equipment for setting up a home studio, and we’ll make a few sheets, too.  (Maximum 8 students)

          Captured in Resin

          with Jamie Thome

          Saturday, March 19

          10 AM – 4 PM

          $90  (plus $40 materials fee)

          If you love boxes, assemblage, and the artist Joseph Cornell, this one-day workshop is for you.  Join us to create small one of a kind assemblages in found containers, which we will then fill with resin to make them permanent and archival.  You can combine Fun With Collage and Fun With Resin to create your own little Found Objects class series.  Don’t miss it!

          Intro to Digital Letterpress Printing

          with Stacey Stern of Steracle Press

          Thursdays, Mar 24 - May 26

          7PM – 10PM

          $385 (plus $25 materials fee)

          In this ten-week class for beginners, you will learn how to make your very own polymer plates, and print your designs from them.  Stacey will take you from your computer image, to film, to plate, to the press.  You will learn how to operate the equipment, mix inks, register plates, and print.  In the early sessions, Stacey will discuss the traditions of printing, and guide you to the modern adaptations that are possible with photopolymer plates.  There will be time to work on either your own or a group project.

          Maximum of 6 students.

          Introduction to Screen Printing

          with Jessica Taylor

          Tuesdays, MAR 29 - APR 26

          7PM - 10PM

          $220  (plus $20 materials fee)

          In this class students will be introduced to screen printing techniques on fabric or paper.  In the course you will learn how to apply images to screens using a variety of methods, including stencils, photo emulsion, and hand drawing.  You will also learn how to mix inks, and practice printing to develop imagery, as well as color and pattern relationships.  Instruction will culminate in the accomplishment of a chosen project, which can range from t-shirts, lengths of fabric for use in fashion or accessories, fabric to make a variety of household products such as cushions and curtains, or paper projects such as posters or greeting cards.  No previous printing experience is necessary.

          (Maximum 8 students)