Re: Kreen and film cleaner

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
      Casey

      Just a further note on this.

      The machine's cooling fans do a fairly good job of self cleaning and
      removing air borne material. Several years ago someone wrote that
      their bulbs were filthy with dirt and after a response or two it
      turned out he had disconnected the fans because of the noise they
      generated.

      > Hi Casey
      >
      > There are products for cleaning solvent and debris from film negatives
      > but generally a spraying of compressed air will suffice to clean them
      > of dust. Make that a routine. Blow raw material off as well before
      > placing on the vacuum frame.
      >
      > I also use compressed air whenever I open the exposing unit, blowing
      > above and below the Kreene. Kreene itself can be cleaned with rubbing
      > alcohol. It's amazing how marked up it can get over time.
      >
      > I've also found replacement of the Kreene to be necessary on a fairly
      > routine basis. Eventually it seems to take on a mind of its own and
      > fails to properly secure during vacuum. At that point, it becomes a
      > liability. You can buy the stuff in rolls and a roll is going to last
      > you a good long time.
      >
      > My processing is done in a small darkroom so, while dust does
      > accumulate on stuff over time, I can't say that airborne material is
      > much of a problem that can be dealt with the compressed air spray.
      >
      > Gerald
      > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
      >
      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Casey McGarr" <casey@> wrote:
      > >
      > > What is the best method for cleaning the film and Kreen before
      > processing a plate.
      > >
      > > I've seen anti static brushes for airborne material.
      > >
      > > Any suggestions would be very helpful.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Casey

    • Casey McGarr
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
        Eric,

        I'll check out this PEC-12 for the film, thanks for the tips.

        Casey

        > I use PEC-12 archival Photographuc Emulsion Cleaner for film,
        > available from photographic suppliers, and isopropyl alcohol for
        > cleaning the krene. The alcohol may also be used on the film. But
        > either will remove any but water-based opaques. I tried Pressine
        > aerosol film cleaner and it damaged the krene (made it pucker).
        > No brush here, I just try to do the cleaning without generating any
        > static to attract dust, hair, etc. And I look carefully for anything
        > in the image area when the vacuum drawdown is complete.
        > --Eric Holub, SF

      • Casey McGarr
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
          Gerald,

          I'll get some air, that seems to be the best option along with the alcohol for the Kreen.

          I'm happy to hear about the Kreen replacement timeframe. I may be in need to purchase
          some as I've noticed some week spots.

          Thanks again for the advice.

          Casey
          www.inkylipspress.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
            Fritz

            According to Boxcar's new website they change the Kreene every couple
            of days or so. I change it reluctantly whenever it starts to fail on
            me, every couple of months or so. You must be doing something right.