Re: Kreen and film cleaner

  • nagraph1
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
      A few weeks ago I was talking to our main polymer supplier, Jet USA
      and they said some plants actually change the kreene each day, and I
      was very surprised at this. This is typically in plants using flexo
      for printing medical boxes where the type is almost miniature and
      they can't afford any screwups in dosage or usage instructions, and
      the printing is done in multiple colors. Since the material is not
      that expensive, they said they'll sell a plant large quantities of
      the material at a time. And I plod one with one that is slightly
      older than a day by a couple of years, and still get excellent
      results.

      fritz

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...>

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
        Hi Casey

        There are products for cleaning solvent and debris from film negatives
        but generally a spraying of compressed air will suffice to clean them
        of dust. Make that a routine. Blow raw material off as well before
        placing on the vacuum frame.

        I also use compressed air whenever I open the exposing unit, blowing
        above and below the Kreene. Kreene itself can be cleaned with rubbing
        alcohol. It's amazing how marked up it can get over time.

        I've also found replacement of the Kreene to be necessary on a fairly
        routine basis. Eventually it seems to take on a mind of its own and
        fails to properly secure during vacuum. At that point, it becomes a
        liability. You can buy the stuff in rolls and a roll is going to last
        you a good long time.

        My processing is done in a small darkroom so, while dust does
        accumulate on stuff over time, I can't say that airborne material is
        much of a problem that can be dealt with the compressed air spray.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
          Casey

          Just a further note on this.

          The machine's cooling fans do a fairly good job of self cleaning and
          removing air borne material. Several years ago someone wrote that
          their bulbs were filthy with dirt and after a response or two it
          turned out he had disconnected the fans because of the noise they
          generated.

          > Hi Casey
          >
          > There are products for cleaning solvent and debris from film negatives
          > but generally a spraying of compressed air will suffice to clean them
          > of dust. Make that a routine. Blow raw material off as well before
          > placing on the vacuum frame.
          >
          > I also use compressed air whenever I open the exposing unit, blowing
          > above and below the Kreene. Kreene itself can be cleaned with rubbing
          > alcohol. It's amazing how marked up it can get over time.
          >
          > I've also found replacement of the Kreene to be necessary on a fairly
          > routine basis. Eventually it seems to take on a mind of its own and
          > fails to properly secure during vacuum. At that point, it becomes a
          > liability. You can buy the stuff in rolls and a roll is going to last
          > you a good long time.
          >
          > My processing is done in a small darkroom so, while dust does
          > accumulate on stuff over time, I can't say that airborne material is
          > much of a problem that can be dealt with the compressed air spray.
          >
          > Gerald
          > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
          >
          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Casey McGarr" <casey@> wrote:
          > >
          > > What is the best method for cleaning the film and Kreen before
          > processing a plate.
          > >
          > > I've seen anti static brushes for airborne material.
          > >
          > > Any suggestions would be very helpful.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Casey

        • Casey McGarr
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
            Eric,

            I'll check out this PEC-12 for the film, thanks for the tips.

            Casey

            > I use PEC-12 archival Photographuc Emulsion Cleaner for film,
            > available from photographic suppliers, and isopropyl alcohol for
            > cleaning the krene. The alcohol may also be used on the film. But
            > either will remove any but water-based opaques. I tried Pressine
            > aerosol film cleaner and it damaged the krene (made it pucker).
            > No brush here, I just try to do the cleaning without generating any
            > static to attract dust, hair, etc. And I look carefully for anything
            > in the image area when the vacuum drawdown is complete.
            > --Eric Holub, SF

          • Casey McGarr
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
              Gerald,

              I'll get some air, that seems to be the best option along with the alcohol for the Kreen.

              I'm happy to hear about the Kreen replacement timeframe. I may be in need to purchase
              some as I've noticed some week spots.

              Thanks again for the advice.

              Casey
              www.inkylipspress.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
                Fritz

                According to Boxcar's new website they change the Kreene every couple
                of days or so. I change it reluctantly whenever it starts to fail on
                me, every couple of months or so. You must be doing something right.