Re: Kreen and film cleaner

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Casey McGarr" <casey@...> wrote:

      > What is the best method for cleaning the film and Kreen before
      processing a plate.

      > I've seen anti static brushes for airborne material.

      I use PEC-12 archival Photographuc Emulsion Cleaner for film,
      available from photographic suppliers, and isopropyl alcohol for
      cleaning the krene. The alcohol may also be used on the film. But
      either will remove any but water-based opaques. I tried Pressine
      aerosol film cleaner and it damaged the krene (made it pucker).
      No brush here, I just try to do the cleaning without generating any
      static to attract dust, hair, etc. And I look carefully for anything
      in the image area when the vacuum drawdown is complete.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • nagraph1
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
        A few weeks ago I was talking to our main polymer supplier, Jet USA
        and they said some plants actually change the kreene each day, and I
        was very surprised at this. This is typically in plants using flexo
        for printing medical boxes where the type is almost miniature and
        they can't afford any screwups in dosage or usage instructions, and
        the printing is done in multiple colors. Since the material is not
        that expensive, they said they'll sell a plant large quantities of
        the material at a time. And I plod one with one that is slightly
        older than a day by a couple of years, and still get excellent
        results.

        fritz

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
          Hi Casey

          There are products for cleaning solvent and debris from film negatives
          but generally a spraying of compressed air will suffice to clean them
          of dust. Make that a routine. Blow raw material off as well before
          placing on the vacuum frame.

          I also use compressed air whenever I open the exposing unit, blowing
          above and below the Kreene. Kreene itself can be cleaned with rubbing
          alcohol. It's amazing how marked up it can get over time.

          I've also found replacement of the Kreene to be necessary on a fairly
          routine basis. Eventually it seems to take on a mind of its own and
          fails to properly secure during vacuum. At that point, it becomes a
          liability. You can buy the stuff in rolls and a roll is going to last
          you a good long time.

          My processing is done in a small darkroom so, while dust does
          accumulate on stuff over time, I can't say that airborne material is
          much of a problem that can be dealt with the compressed air spray.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
            Casey

            Just a further note on this.

            The machine's cooling fans do a fairly good job of self cleaning and
            removing air borne material. Several years ago someone wrote that
            their bulbs were filthy with dirt and after a response or two it
            turned out he had disconnected the fans because of the noise they
            generated.

            > Hi Casey
            >
            > There are products for cleaning solvent and debris from film negatives
            > but generally a spraying of compressed air will suffice to clean them
            > of dust. Make that a routine. Blow raw material off as well before
            > placing on the vacuum frame.
            >
            > I also use compressed air whenever I open the exposing unit, blowing
            > above and below the Kreene. Kreene itself can be cleaned with rubbing
            > alcohol. It's amazing how marked up it can get over time.
            >
            > I've also found replacement of the Kreene to be necessary on a fairly
            > routine basis. Eventually it seems to take on a mind of its own and
            > fails to properly secure during vacuum. At that point, it becomes a
            > liability. You can buy the stuff in rolls and a roll is going to last
            > you a good long time.
            >
            > My processing is done in a small darkroom so, while dust does
            > accumulate on stuff over time, I can't say that airborne material is
            > much of a problem that can be dealt with the compressed air spray.
            >
            > Gerald
            > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
            >
            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Casey McGarr" <casey@> wrote:
            > >
            > > What is the best method for cleaning the film and Kreen before
            > processing a plate.
            > >
            > > I've seen anti static brushes for airborne material.
            > >
            > > Any suggestions would be very helpful.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Casey

          • Casey McGarr
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
              Eric,

              I'll check out this PEC-12 for the film, thanks for the tips.

              Casey

              > I use PEC-12 archival Photographuc Emulsion Cleaner for film,
              > available from photographic suppliers, and isopropyl alcohol for
              > cleaning the krene. The alcohol may also be used on the film. But
              > either will remove any but water-based opaques. I tried Pressine
              > aerosol film cleaner and it damaged the krene (made it pucker).
              > No brush here, I just try to do the cleaning without generating any
              > static to attract dust, hair, etc. And I look carefully for anything
              > in the image area when the vacuum drawdown is complete.
              > --Eric Holub, SF

            • Casey McGarr
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
                Gerald,

                I'll get some air, that seems to be the best option along with the alcohol for the Kreen.

                I'm happy to hear about the Kreen replacement timeframe. I may be in need to purchase
                some as I've noticed some week spots.

                Thanks again for the advice.

                Casey
                www.inkylipspress.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
                  Fritz

                  According to Boxcar's new website they change the Kreene every couple
                  of days or so. I change it reluctantly whenever it starts to fail on
                  me, every couple of months or so. You must be doing something right.