Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: PPWeirdness (dampening follow up)

    Message 1 of 23 , May 9, 2008
      Bryan, Gerald,

      Dampening worked well on the 300gsm Lettra
      Assuming one is doing single color work, variation in grain doesn't
      really come into it.
      Also, even with multiple colors, keeping the stock lightly wrapped
      between impressions will minimize dimensional variation.

      Double ply, 600gsm, I can imagine may be a problem on the cylinder,
      yes...

      As far as the other concern that Gerald alludes to, the plate in
      question was neither of the Toyobos, but a leftover that was acquired
      previously. I've had none of these problems with the Toyobo 152. One
      thing is that I've found that keeping the washout to the absolute
      minimum is critical, and often pull the plate while there are still
      small amounts of material adhering to the backing. (about 4.5 minutes)
      With this, I get lovely shoulders on even isolated thin rules and
      dots...

      My concern had nothing to do with "bulging" between the letters, but
      the fact that there was so little definition between the letters, so
      that the whole line of type appeared to be surrounded by a slight
      depression caused by very shallow shoulders. With the Toyobo (either
      95 or 152) I've not had this problem. While the impression was not
      wimpy, neither was it excessive. There is never embossing on the verso.

      Cheers

      On 8 May 2008, at 6:43 PM, kringds wrote:
      > Hi Gerald,
      >
      > I was browsing the archives on dampening paper and came across your
      > post below in
      > which you seem suprised at the dampening of Lettra. Could you tell
      > me why you were
      > supprised?
      >
      > I am getting ready to print a job on 32# lettra and am debating if I
      > should dampen the
      > paper. I will be printing on polymer plates with primarily line art
      > with black ink.
      >
      > I have dampened heavier weight paper before with good results but I
      > am wondering if it
      > makes sense for a lighter weight paper. I assume it does. Could you
      > or anyone with
      > experience let me know their opinion on this?
      >
      > As always, thanks for the help and advice.
      >
      > bryan kring

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Exquisite Letterpress
      http://slowprint.com
      Message 2 of 23 , May 9, 2008
        Peter

        Don't know that the other concern was in reference to you, but you
        might even want to back down to 4 minutes on washout for the Toyobo
        152s. It 'll leave a bit of residue and not look as nice as one might
        hope, but it will definitely prevent undercutting and ensure support.
        These are steel-backs. Don't know about the polyester-backed 152s.

        The Toybobo 95s are a dream plate. Perfectly clean at 3.5 minute
        washout, no residue, no undercutting, steel- or polyester-backed.