Re: [PPLetterpress] Digest Number 291

  • Hrant H Papazian
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23, 2002
      From: Katie Harper
      > Giving the public what it wants or thinks it
      > wants has never led to improving the aesthetics

      But typographers are middlemen who are supposed to
      facilitate the desires of both authors and readers.
      We're much more craftsmen than artists, so personal
      expression of aesthetics (do we agree that there is
      no absolute Beauty?) needs to be secondary, no?

      > Does that mean we have to give up aesthetic considerations?

      No, never "give up". Just give it much less weight than our
      personal aesthetic leanings might prefer. For example, it's a
      general rule in text type design that if you like your own work
      too much, it will probably fail; the prettiest glyphs in a text
      font are always the most problematic, functionally.

      > focus groups led by USA Today should be
      > dictating what is or is not good typography.

      Who said anything about "good"? Focus groups very much indicate
      what people will *buy*, which is the only concern of those who
      run the show here. They wouldn't know smallcaps if a case of
      them crushed their Blackberry.

      hhp
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 23, 2002
        Greetings, PPLetterpressers

        Netiquette Tip# 127.a [SubSect:D] *

        * If you receive a list via digest ---
        * Please edit your subject headings to be something other than "Digest Number nnn"
        * unless, of course, you are replying to a TOPIC with the ORGINAL TITLE
        * "Digest Number fifteenmillionthreehundredfourtytwopointseven"

        Makes life much more enjoyable for those of us trying to follow a thread.

        Thanks
        Peter

        *From "The Timeless Tao of the Net Masters" (1987 edition)

        =============================================================={==::>
        *Democracy * Freedom for A*L*L*! -------------- ----
        *------------------------------- -----------{==::>
        *V O T E * D E M O C R A T I C ------------- ----
        *----------------------------- ---------
        *USE YOUR VOICE!!! * * * * * * * ----------------- ----{==::>
        *--------------------------------- ----------
        * * * * * * * * * VOTE NOV 5th! ----------------- ----
        =============================================================={==::>

        Whatever happened to the War Against Injustice and Poverty!
        End Terrorism? End Poverty!
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 23, 2002
          >From: Katie Harper
          >> Giving the public what it wants or thinks it
          >> wants has never led to improving the aesthetics
          >
          >But typographers are middlemen who are supposed to
          >facilitate the desires of both authors and readers.
          >We're much more craftsmen than artists, so personal
          >expression of aesthetics (do we agree that there is
          >no absolute Beauty?) needs to be secondary, no?

          The Royal We ???

          No. Hrant, think about who you're talking to here, speaking of readers.

          Letterpress book >artists< mean anything to ya?

          ;-)

          So much for having one canned philosophy for every occasion.

          End of thread, inappropriate to mash this into the ground in a group about PhotoPolymer LP techniques, eh? Or no, Gerry?

          P.

          =============================================================={==::>
          *Democracy * Freedom for A*L*L*! -------------- ----
          *------------------------------- -----------{==::>
          *V O T E * D E M O C R A T I C ------------- ----
          *----------------------------- ---------
          *USE YOUR VOICE!!! * * * * * * * ----------------- ----{==::>
          *--------------------------------- ----------
          * * * * * * * * * VOTE NOV 5th! ----------------- ----
          =============================================================={==::>

          Whatever happened to the War Against Injustice and Poverty!
          End Terrorism? End Poverty!
        • Silver MayKitten
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 23, 2002
            Did I change the subject enough?

            MayKitten

            > Whatever happened to the War Against Injustice and Poverty!
            > End Terrorism? End Poverty!

            =====
            Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

            From the book, Charge of the Goddess