Re: PPWeirdness (dampening follow up)

  • kringds
    Message 1 of 23 , May 8, 2008
      Hi Gerald,

      I was browsing the archives on dampening paper and came across your post below in
      which you seem suprised at the dampening of Lettra. Could you tell me why you were
      supprised?

      I am getting ready to print a job on 32# lettra and am debating if I should dampen the
      paper. I will be printing on polymer plates with primarily line art with black ink.

      I have dampened heavier weight paper before with good results but I am wondering if it
      makes sense for a lighter weight paper. I assume it does. Could you or anyone with
      experience let me know their opinion on this?

      As always, thanks for the help and advice.

      bryan kring

      > Probably. I still have demon catchers hanging from the ceiling, though
      > I have taken down all the tribute images of Moloch.
      >
      > Dampened Lettra!!! Interesting.
      >
      > Gerald
      > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
      >

      > > Yes. As noted I've had plenty of good luck before Mercury retrograde
      > started ;-)
      > > These little 'antelope' greeting cards were done with the 'old'
      > yellow pp... ( dampened Lettra on the V219)
      > >
      > http://www.exquisiteletterpress.com/cards/exquisitegreetingcards/archive/samples/
      unique-invitation-designs-by-kf/P1020933.JPG

      Message 2 of 23 , May 9, 2008
        Hi Bryan

        My thinking is that commercial grade papers tend not to respond well to
        dampening. Primarily because of dominant grain direction and external
        sizing.

        I think the only commercial grade that I dampen is Curtis Flannel but my
        suspicion, is that it might actually have been a mouldmade, coming from
        the Scottish mills that Curtis owned. We had it tested once and the
        report came back that it consisted of tobacco leaves. I believe it was
        engine sized. Great printing paper no longer with us.

        One of my students had some double ply Lettra last semester. A very
        thick sheet that she was attempting to print on the Vandercook. Not only
        did the layers split apart but the entire back ply was warped throughout
        the heap. Might have been a bad lot or badly stored. Not a big fan.

        I don't know that you need to dampen on thinner stock. Most of the text
        weight mouldmades print well without dampening, though they do respond
        well when dampened. I guess I'd suggest dampening only when you really
        need to do it.

        An aside, but it does relate to the old thread you encountered. I
        believe some was asking about the bulging between letters that they were
        experiencing when printing on Cranes Lettra with the "deep relief"
        plate. I occurred to me the other day that the problem arises from
        relief depth. Subtract the relief thickness of a plate from the plate
        thickness and you get its relief depth. A Toyobo 95 mm K series plate
        has a 65 mm relief thickness. A Toyobo 1.52 mm K series plate has a 1.22
        mm relief thickness. Thus, surprise, surprise, they both have a relief
        depth of .30 mm. While the 152 is deeper (thicker) from surface to
        floor, material in close proximity at the surface (small text,
        letterform counters, etc) however, is limited to the relief depth.
        That's just the way the formation process works. Any other ratio in
        regard to relief depth would make the plate unstable. Thus you will get
        the bulging effect when you over impress as you are extending beyond the
        capability of the plate. The paper has to do something under the forced
        pressure so it bulges out where it can or even cracks. This would also
        account for the loss of isolated dots, fine lines, etc, on these plates
        under severe impression as they simply have no support.

        Message 3 of 23 , May 9, 2008
          Bryan, Gerald,

          Dampening worked well on the 300gsm Lettra
          Assuming one is doing single color work, variation in grain doesn't
          really come into it.
          Also, even with multiple colors, keeping the stock lightly wrapped
          between impressions will minimize dimensional variation.

          Double ply, 600gsm, I can imagine may be a problem on the cylinder,
          yes...

          As far as the other concern that Gerald alludes to, the plate in
          question was neither of the Toyobos, but a leftover that was acquired
          previously. I've had none of these problems with the Toyobo 152. One
          thing is that I've found that keeping the washout to the absolute
          minimum is critical, and often pull the plate while there are still
          small amounts of material adhering to the backing. (about 4.5 minutes)
          With this, I get lovely shoulders on even isolated thin rules and
          dots...

          My concern had nothing to do with "bulging" between the letters, but
          the fact that there was so little definition between the letters, so
          that the whole line of type appeared to be surrounded by a slight
          depression caused by very shallow shoulders. With the Toyobo (either
          95 or 152) I've not had this problem. While the impression was not
          wimpy, neither was it excessive. There is never embossing on the verso.

          Cheers

          On 8 May 2008, at 6:43 PM, kringds wrote:
          > Hi Gerald,
          >
          > I was browsing the archives on dampening paper and came across your
          > post below in
          > which you seem suprised at the dampening of Lettra. Could you tell
          > me why you were
          > supprised?
          >
          > I am getting ready to print a job on 32# lettra and am debating if I
          > should dampen the
          > paper. I will be printing on polymer plates with primarily line art
          > with black ink.
          >
          > I have dampened heavier weight paper before with good results but I
          > am wondering if it
          > makes sense for a lighter weight paper. I assume it does. Could you
          > or anyone with
          > experience let me know their opinion on this?
          >
          > As always, thanks for the help and advice.
          >
          > bryan kring

          Peter Fraterdeus
          Exquisite Letterpress
          http://slowprint.com
          Message 4 of 23 , May 9, 2008
            Peter

            Don't know that the other concern was in reference to you, but you
            might even want to back down to 4 minutes on washout for the Toyobo
            152s. It 'll leave a bit of residue and not look as nice as one might
            hope, but it will definitely prevent undercutting and ensure support.
            These are steel-backs. Don't know about the polyester-backed 152s.

            The Toybobo 95s are a dream plate. Perfectly clean at 3.5 minute
            washout, no residue, no undercutting, steel- or polyester-backed.