Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Reconstructing Gutenberg's Press

  • Crispin Elsted
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2008
      Dear All,

      I haven't followed this thread through, so forgive me if someone's already suggested this, but just in case -- has anyone mentioned the wonderful set-up of common presses at the Plantin-Moretus Museum in Antwerp? They have a room with perhaps eight or ten common presses, including the two oldest extant presses in working condition, maintained just as they were when the printing house was working in the 17th century. The museum also includes the typefoundry and the composition rooms with cases, and is well set up with information for the visitor, knowledgeable personnel, and of course the inevitable gift-shop. There are lectures and classes given there regularly as well -- or used to be.

      This website has some good illustrations and information: http://museum.antwerpen.be/plantin_Moretus/index_eng.html

      I hope this is helpful.

      Cheers to all,

      Crispin Elsted