Re: Reconstructing Gutenberg's Press

  • Mike Carter
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2008
      The book "Printing Presses. History and Development from the 15th century to
      modern times" by James Moran published by the University of California Press
      in 1973 has an illustration that it claims is the first known illustration
      of a printing press. The illustration was in an edition of the Danse Macabre
      published in 1499. As Gutenberg's press was made in about 1440 it is likely
      that the illustration is either of Gutenberg's press or a copy of it.
      Unfortunately the illustration is more about Death carrying off a poor
      printer but the main structure of the press is visible and there appears to
      be a box which is being used as a tympan.
      I hope that this picture is of some help in visualising Gutenberg's press.
      Regards
      Mike Carter

    • Jan Kellett
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2008
        The Gutenburg Museum in Mainz, Germany, has a large working wooden
        press (as well as a copy of Gutenburg's bible). My understanding at
        the time I visited (1999) was that this was a reconstruction of the
        press used by Gutenburg.
        Jan
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2008
          Jan

          The Gutenberg Museum's press is a reasonable educated guess at the
          reconstruction of a wooden common press but it is not known what the
          earliest of printing presses might actually have looked like. Konrad
          Saspoch, a cabinet maker, is credited with the construction of the type
          of press used by Gutenberg et al.

          Fairly accurately depicted illustrations do appear at the beginning of
          the 17th century. Hornschurch's Orthotypographia, 1608, has realistic
          renderings. But the first technical descriptions of the common press
          were by Moxon in 1683, some two hundred plus years after printing with
          movable type began.

          As mentioned earlier, the Elizabeth Harris and Clinton Sisson book, The
          Common Press, has very detailed descriptions of the construction.

          On a more serious note, a present-day rendering of Gutenberg's printing
          press can be seen here:

          http://www.gutenbergthemusical.com/index2.html

          Jan Kellett wrote:
          > The Gutenburg Museum in Mainz, Germany, has a large working wooden
          > press (as well as a copy of Gutenburg's bible). My understanding at
          > the time I visited (1999) was that this was a reconstruction of the
          > press used by Gutenburg.
          > Jan

        • Crispin Elsted
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2008
            Dear All,

            I haven't followed this thread through, so forgive me if someone's already suggested this, but just in case -- has anyone mentioned the wonderful set-up of common presses at the Plantin-Moretus Museum in Antwerp? They have a room with perhaps eight or ten common presses, including the two oldest extant presses in working condition, maintained just as they were when the printing house was working in the 17th century. The museum also includes the typefoundry and the composition rooms with cases, and is well set up with information for the visitor, knowledgeable personnel, and of course the inevitable gift-shop. There are lectures and classes given there regularly as well -- or used to be.

            This website has some good illustrations and information: http://museum.antwerpen.be/plantin_Moretus/index_eng.html

            I hope this is helpful.

            Cheers to all,

            Crispin Elsted