Re: [PPLetterpress] Legal Protection of Fonts?

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2002
      At 7:56 PM -0700 2002-10-21, Hrant H Papazian wrote:
      >In addition to citing my overall agreement with Peter, I would
      >elaborate on his "modern type design should, clearly, take into
      >account the 'plastic' nature of the instant repro technology"
      >by pointing out the following two examples:
      >
      >1. USA Today takes Unger's Gulliver and squeezes
      > it beyond recognition. He doesn't seem to mind.
      >
      >2. Paul Luna (the senior designer of the OED operation) gave a
      > supremely useful talk at this year's ATypI conference where
      > he revealed that on occasion he squeezes fonts up to 60%!!
      > And he observed that Unger's fonts tend to survive such
      > abuse very well.
      >
      >The fact that both those examples involve Unger is
      >no coincidence: instead of digging himself a trench
      >and cursing people who might be "abusing" his designs,
      >he actually makes his fonts naturally malleable.

      hhp

      Hrant

      Thanks for the good examples!

      -
      AzByCx DwEvFu GtHsIr JqKpLo MnNmOl PkQjRi ShTgUf VeWdXc YbZa& @

      Peter Fraterdeus http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
      www.semiotx.com Magical Images from the Moon's Garden!

      In remembrance of all victims of violence in the last 1000 years...

      Be all you can be. Work for Peace.

      Whatever happened to the War Against Injustice and Poverty!
      End Terrorism? End Poverty!