Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ooops...Fwd: Press Solvent vs. Type/Plate solvent

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2008
      Hmm
      I've used Cal wash for decades on typographic surfaces.
      Haven't noticed any residue, and it seems to dry pretty quick...

      My erstwhile printer's devil says that Simple Green wash (er, what's
      it called again) is the perfect stuff, having used it in school in
      Portland.

      http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_6974.asp?pricode=wg172

      While it's not petroleum based, and is certified biodegradable, it's
      still got nasty solvents, so it's not exactly good for you. She is
      using it in my shop, and it certainly does the trick as well as the
      Varn California Wash.

      I had assumed it would be more expensive than California Wash, but on
      further investigation, it appears to be cheaper!

      https://shop.presstek.com/cgi-bin/catalog/catalog_print_list.pl?id=2827

      Cheers!

      On 28 Apr 2008, at 1:29 AM, Gerald Lange wrote:
      > Jody
      >
      > Don't use acetone. Nasty stuff. You can get type wash at any printing
      > supply distributor. Doesn't matter too much what kind but from my
      > experience, the more you pay, the better it is. In terms of
      > effectiveness and minimal odor.
      >
      > California Wash is for the press and the rollers, not for typographic
      > surfaces. For the latter you need something that drys quickly and
      > leaves
      > no residue.
      Peter Fraterdeus
      Exquisite Letterpress