Re: Reconstructing Gutenburg's Press

  • Gary Johanson
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 24, 2008
      It's a fascinating watch. Curious who it was who sent the form for
      the page they actually printed (into which they inserted the home-
      made "e")? If they said who, I missed it. M&H supplied for the
      Smith in the past, I wonder if it might be them?

      I wish there were actually a plan on paper to actually construct a
      simple single pull press like that shown on the BBC video . . .
      maybe without the wooden screw. I'd settle for iron or steel
      there :>) Perhaps just large enough to handle a 5x7 Kelsey chase.
      Just enough to demonstrate and pull a respectable print. I
      volunteer at the print shop of a teaching museum in Central Florida,
      and while we have no shortage of Gordon style job presses and a
      Kelsey collection, nothing beats demonstrating the quantum leap
      between the 1780's and the 1880's in press technology - especially
      the speed - like having the real thing to demonstrate. It's hard to
      appreciate how fast 20 impressions per minute by one press operator
      is as compared to 3 or 4 per minute with a trained crew of two or
      three.

      Simple (and massive) as those Common Presses were, they are a
      marvelous device to see in full vigour and action with a trained
      crew. I really appreciate those YouTube videos being made
      available. I would be willing to purchase a few DVDs of the special
      for use at the Museum if the BBC made them available.

      Your Humble Servant
      Gary Johanson, Settlement Printer
      Florida Pioneer Settlement for the Creative Arts
      Barberville, Fl.
      http://www.qsl.net/wd4nka/TEXTS/press.html
      http://www.gjohanson.blogspot.com

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Susan Angebranndt <susan@...>
      wrote:

      > Recently there's been a series on the BBC in the UK called "The
      Medieval
      > Season", and one of the installments is called "The Machine That
      Made Us",
      > all about Gutenberg. Stephen Fry is the presenter and among other
      things he
      > shows how the first metal type was cast and speculates about how
      the first
      > press worked (there apparently aren't any extent pictures or plans
      for that
      > first press). Part of the documentary is about building a working
      version
      > of what that first press might have been like. You can watch the
      show on
      > YouTube -- in 6 10 minute installments starting with this one:
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91smRXrEPRs
      >
      > Susan

    • David McNamara
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 24, 2008
        Gary,

        This production was discussed a bit over on that other letterpress list, and I think someone said that it was M&H who did the form. (I don't remember the program giving credit, either, which strikes me as unfortunate.)
        __

        David

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 24, 2008
          Gary

          Godine put out a book a long while back titled The Common Press by
          Elizabeth M Harris of the Smithsonian, which included technical
          illustrations of its construction. This is still available from online
          antiquarian sources (around $100 or so).

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Johanson" <wd4nka@...> wrote:

          > It's a fascinating watch. Curious who it was who sent the form for
          > the page they actually printed (into which they inserted the home-
          > made "e")? If they said who, I missed it. M&H supplied for the
          > Smith in the past, I wonder if it might be them?
          >
          > I wish there were actually a plan on paper to actually construct a
          > simple single pull press like that shown on the BBC video . . .
          > maybe without the wooden screw. I'd settle for iron or steel
          > there :>) Perhaps just large enough to handle a 5x7 Kelsey chase.
          > Just enough to demonstrate and pull a respectable print. I
          > volunteer at the print shop of a teaching museum in Central Florida,
          > and while we have no shortage of Gordon style job presses and a
          > Kelsey collection, nothing beats demonstrating the quantum leap
          > between the 1780's and the 1880's in press technology - especially
          > the speed - like having the real thing to demonstrate. It's hard to
          > appreciate how fast 20 impressions per minute by one press operator
          > is as compared to 3 or 4 per minute with a trained crew of two or
          > three.
          >
          > Simple (and massive) as those Common Presses were, they are a
          > marvelous device to see in full vigour and action with a trained
          > crew. I really appreciate those YouTube videos being made
          > available. I would be willing to purchase a few DVDs of the special
          > for use at the Museum if the BBC made them available.
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Gary Johanson, Settlement Printer
          > Florida Pioneer Settlement for the Creative Arts
          > Barberville, Fl.
          > http://www.qsl.net/wd4nka/TEXTS/press.html
          > http://www.gjohanson.blogspot.com
          >

          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Susan Angebranndt <susan@>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > Recently there's been a series on the BBC in the UK called "The
          > Medieval
          > > Season", and one of the installments is called "The Machine That
          > Made Us",
          > > all about Gutenberg. Stephen Fry is the presenter and among other
          > things he
          > > shows how the first metal type was cast and speculates about how
          > the first
          > > press worked (there apparently aren't any extent pictures or plans
          > for that
          > > first press). Part of the documentary is about building a working
          > version
          > > of what that first press might have been like. You can watch the
          > show on
          > > YouTube -- in 6 10 minute installments starting with this one:
          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91smRXrEPRs
          > >
          > > Susan

        • mike day
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 24, 2008
            The font was from Dale Guild. The font was their recreation of the Gutenburg
            font, B-42.

            Mike

            Mike Day
            Long Day Press
            Sunnyvale CA

            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 24, 2008
              The only problem with the Rehak reconstruction was that it is the
              typical 20th/21st century approach to historical typeface
              reconstruction. Pick the best letter you can find and use that as
              representative. Unfortunately, throughout the period of Incunabula,
              from Schoeffer into Aldus, letterforms were deliberately randomized.
              The standardization of typecast letterforms is post Incunabula.

              Anything set without this understanding is in no way going to
              recapture the look of B42 or other Incunabula.

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "mike day" <vangogh1888@...> wrote:

              > The font was from Dale Guild. The font was their recreation of the
              Gutenburg
              > font, B-42.
              >
              > Mike
              >

              > On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:50 PM, David McNamara <david@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Gary,
              > >
              > > This production was discussed a bit over on that other letterpress
              list,
              > > and I think someone said that it was M&H who did the form. (I
              don't remember
              > > the program giving credit, either, which strikes me as unfortunate.)
              > > __
              > >
              > > David

            • Farida Bee
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 24, 2008
                Gary,

                The page was set (and sent) by Kitty Maryatt, Director of the Scripps College Press in Claremont, California. As noted by Mike Day, the type was cast by Dale Guild Typefoundry.

                Farida Sunada

                <<<
                From: Gary Johanson

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 28, 2008
                  Thanks for the info. Sorry about taking so long to acknowledge. Seems
                  lately I am lucky to get posts out on a weekly basis.

                  I am curious about authentically cast type because I am considering
                  reprinting portions of Dr. Stearns "American Herbal", using matched
                  fonts set in as near to the same form as I am able at my level of
                  operation. Seeing that form on the BBC documentary made me wonder
                  just how close I could copy Carlisle's original work in the American
                  Herbal.

                  I hope to bring at least a part of this volume back to life, and also
                  create awareness of the pioneer Doctor who suffered for his beliefs
                  and took a very unpopular stand during a very trying time, which
                  followed him for the rest of his life.

                  Gary Johanson, Printer
                  Florida Pioneer Settlement for the Creative Arts
                • nagraph1
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 28, 2008
                    If you know the type face and size, then see what's available as off-
                    the-shelf type or something that has to be cast. The B-42 used in the
                    BBC program is the only accurate reproduction "Gutenberg" type
                    available, and with some 270 characters, I think Theo Rehak and Alan
                    Waring came as close to reproducing in metal what the actual type was
                    as is possible. There is no other source for the B-42 type.

                    Fritz

                    wrote:

                    > Thanks for the info. Sorry about taking so long to acknowledge.
                    Seems
                    > lately I am lucky to get posts out on a weekly basis.
                    >
                    > I am curious about authentically cast type because I am considering
                    > reprinting portions of Dr. Stearns "American Herbal", using matched
                    > fonts set in as near to the same form as I am able at my level of
                    > operation. Seeing that form on the BBC documentary made me wonder
                    > just how close I could copy Carlisle's original work in the
                    American
                    > Herbal.
                    >
                    > I hope to bring at least a part of this volume back to life, and
                    also
                    > create awareness of the pioneer Doctor who suffered for his beliefs
                    > and took a very unpopular stand during a very trying time, which
                    > followed him for the rest of his life.
                    >
                    > Gary Johanson, Printer
                    > Florida Pioneer Settlement for the Creative Arts

                  • Lamsland
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 14, 2008
                      Oh no!

                      Did anyone manage to download these videos? I want to show a pressman
                      at work but. . . .

                      This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by British
                      Broadcasting Corporation

                      Matthew "LAMMY" Lamoureux
                      Full Metal Press - Operis servo a specialis nundinae

                      On Apr 24, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Susan Angebranndt wrote:

                      > Recently there's been a series on the BBC in the UK called "The
                      > Medieval
                      > Season", and one of the installments is called "The Machine That
                      > Made Us",
                      > all about Gutenberg. Stephen Fry is the presenter and among other
                      > things he
                      > shows how the first metal type was cast and speculates about how
                      > the first
                      > press worked (there apparently aren't any extent pictures or plans
                      > for that
                      > first press). Part of the documentary is about building a working
                      > version
                      > of what that first press might have been like. You can watch the
                      > show on
                      > YouTube -- in 6 10 minute installments starting with this one:
                      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91smRXrEPRs
                      >
                      > Susan

                    • Erik Desmyter
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 14, 2008
                        > Lamsland wrote: I want to show a pressman
                        > at work but. . . .
                        > This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim
                        > by British Broadcasting Corporation

                        it is still here:
                        http://www.dontpressme.com/video/gutenberg.html

                        Regards,