Re: [PPLetterpress] Paper & Spoilage

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2002
      Michael: I just did a job, a wedding invitation for a bride who made her own
      paper. I too was nervous about spoilage, so I asked her to give me all the
      sheets she had, even those she thought were not good enough. Turns out she
      had quite a pile of rejects. In the end however, I didn't need them. I
      printed this on the Vandercook, because its action, in my experience, helps
      to counteract some slight variances in paper thickness, which is inevitable
      with handmade paper.

      With a caliper, I figured out an average thickness of her paper (roughly)
      and found a few sheets of junk commercial stuff of similar thickness to use
      for makeready. I only needed one to determine the right basic impression
      setting. Then I made myself a pile of very thin sheets of white paper, so
      that if I were printing on a piece of the handmade that was very thin, I
      could just slip a sheet or two of the white paper underneath. This worked
      beautifully to compensate for variances in paper thickness. The thicker
      sheets of her paper printed just as well as the thinner ones (again, one of
      the beauties of the Vandercook). The job printed beautifully, and my
      spoilage was about nil so I put away the Maalox for another day.

      Hope this helps.

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH