Paper & Spoilage

  • Michael Barnes
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2002
      One of these days I'm going to print a little book using photopolymer plates
      on hand-made paper. Of course I am worried about spoiling a lot of expensive
      sheets in my makeready. Do folks have recommendations on machine-made paper
      that behaves like hand-made paper, that can be used in lieu of the hand-made
      during the set-up? Is it enough to use sheets of the same thickness? I'm
      sure many in this group have been through this and I'd appreciate the advice
      of more experienced printers.

      Michael Barnes
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 20, 2002
        Michael: I just did a job, a wedding invitation for a bride who made her own
        paper. I too was nervous about spoilage, so I asked her to give me all the
        sheets she had, even those she thought were not good enough. Turns out she
        had quite a pile of rejects. In the end however, I didn't need them. I
        printed this on the Vandercook, because its action, in my experience, helps
        to counteract some slight variances in paper thickness, which is inevitable
        with handmade paper.

        With a caliper, I figured out an average thickness of her paper (roughly)
        and found a few sheets of junk commercial stuff of similar thickness to use
        for makeready. I only needed one to determine the right basic impression
        setting. Then I made myself a pile of very thin sheets of white paper, so
        that if I were printing on a piece of the handmade that was very thin, I
        could just slip a sheet or two of the white paper underneath. This worked
        beautifully to compensate for variances in paper thickness. The thicker
        sheets of her paper printed just as well as the thinner ones (again, one of
        the beauties of the Vandercook). The job printed beautifully, and my
        spoilage was about nil so I put away the Maalox for another day.

        Hope this helps.

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH