Re:Mexico City type/printing museum tips?

  • barb tetenbaum
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2008
      Hi,
      I spent 7 days in Mexico City this January. I found
      the food to be remarkably delicious in the big
      markets. Prepare to be amazed by the food overall.

      The Plaza Santo Domingo in the old part of the city is
      historically dedicated to both letterpress printing
      and helping illiterate folk from the countryside to
      have letters officially typewritten for them. You will
      see at least a dozen "print shops" located under the
      arched arcade and a number of 'scribes' sitting at
      tables with their old typewriters. But when you
      explore the two city block area adjacent, you realize
      that every single store front in that area is another
      letterpress shop, and then if you go inside a building
      you see that they are set up in nearly every available
      space!

      And they do pretty good work, too, for very little
      money.

      There is a press 'Taller Dittoria" in a different part
      of the city that publishes limited edition fine press
      books. You could contact them through their website
      and get more advice.

      -Barb T.