Photoshop Spot Seps?

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17, 2002
      Does anyone have experience with colorizing parts of an image using
      Photoshop's Spot Color Channels, and then exporting to Quark for
      separations? I cannot get my files to export properly. The Photoshop book
      says to export as DCS, but I only have that option if the file is CMYK, and
      if I export as CMYK, then Quark will make CMYK out of everything. Is there a
      better way to do this than the Spot Color Channel routine?

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588
      http://www.arsbrevispress.com
    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2002
        Hal Sterne, one of the former owners of Vandercook and NA Graphics, has been
        working on a history of Vandercook and I will be assisting him this winter
        in furnishing material from the Vandercook records. I have most of the
        information Imke is asking about, but it is not in a form that can be shared
        with people yet. I am happy to share information on specific questions, and
        look up serial numbers, etc., but on an available time basis.

        All of the Vandercook records are within a few feet of my desk and fill 19
        file cabinets, plus we have several of the newer model presses on hand so
        that we can go to a specific press and address a problem with the press in
        front of us. The #4 is out there in such numbers that I have most of the
        blueprints for that press in a file folder so I can answer questions.

        Vandercooks are still used by a lot of people besides the limited edition,
        fine press/printer group. I have a Universal I in the shop now that belongs
        to International Paper Co. We have companies like WestvacoMead that own 14
        Vandercooks, and they are in daily use. I keep at my desk several vintage
        Vandercook catalogs so I can answer specific questions, but I am not
        prepared to go much further than that just based on what time I have
        available. And, we have a number of customers who purchased their
        Vandercooks new back in the 60s and are still using them. Any special order
        presses from the 60s and 70s have a file folder devoted to the changes
        ordered by the customer, and that information is available. Unfortunately,
        most of the company correspondence files did not survive, and I can only
        speculate what has been dumped by any of the owners previous to me. I'm a
        pack rat and keep everything, and plan to pass it all along someday when we
        need to move out of the business. I did give a slide show at the Denver APA
        conference in June that had about 125 pictures from the Vandercook
        photograph collection that we have, and I will be giving it again in Denver
        at Thanksgiving time.

        Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
        1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
        Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
        970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
        nagraph@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 18, 2002
          --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Katie Harper <knharper@f...> wrote:
          > Does anyone have experience with colorizing parts of an image using
          > Photoshop's Spot Color Channels, and then exporting to Quark for
          > separations? I cannot get my files to export properly. The
          Photoshop book

          I generally switch the spot color to a solid C,M,Y or K in Photoshop
          so that it will output as a spot color and not process color seps in
          Quark.

          John G. Henry