Reminder: APHA Call for Papers: Saving the History of Printing

  • Paul W. Romaine
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2008
      [I have been asked to post the following Call which has an extended deadline of May 1 due to technical difficulties. Please excuse cross-posting. pwr]

      [I've also been asked to encourage APA/ATF/Chappel printers to consider submitting a paper or panel proposal, since we would like to see more representation from the individual who through their own private actions or hobbies helps preserve printing history. pwr]

      Saving the History of Printing
      APHA's 2008 Conference
      New York City, October 10-12, 2008

      The American Printing History Association (APHA) welcomes proposals for its 33rd
      annual conference, Saving the History of Printing. The conference will be held in
      New York City on October 10-12, 2008, with a keynote address by James Mosley at
      the Grolier Club on Friday October 10 and the main proceedings on Saturday, October
      11 at Columbia University. Full conference details will be available at the APHA
      website, www.printinghistory.org

      The conference theme is the preservation of the stuff of printing history, broadly
      conceived – the material (presses, type, plates, blocks, bookbinding equipment),
      the documentation (manuals, type specimens, archives), and the practices (the skills
      and knowledge necessary to operate the equipment, or to make the paper, ink, punches,
      etc.) – from the earliest days of printing up to the present. We welcome participation
      by printers, papermakers and other practitioners of the allied crafts, librarians,
      curators, academics, independent scholars, and collectors.

      We particularly encourage papers that address:
      -- why and to what purpose a museum collects printing equipment
      -- how an institution encourages visitors to engage with printing history
      -- how no-longer-commercial skills are perpetuated

      Papers
      Papers will be 20 minutes in length.

      Panels
      Proposals are welcome for panels of three to four speakers and a moderator (circa
      one to one-and-a-half hours).

      Guidelines
      Proposals should include a title, an abstract, contact information, a short biographical
      statement, and should list specific equipment needs such as slide and digital projectors.
      Proposals should not exceed one page. All presenters must have current APHA memberships
      at the time of registration.

      Deadlines
      Proposals are due April 1, 2008. Program announcements are expected June 1, 2008.

      Update: Due to APHA webserver and communications difficulties, the deadline has
      been extended to May 1, 2008.

      Submission
      Electronic (preferred) or hard copy submissions will be accepted.
      Email proposals (Word document file, PDF or text) to apha2008conference@...

      Mail proposals to co-chairs: Gerald Cloud & Jane Siegel, Rare Book and Manuscript
      Library, Columbia University, Butler Library, Sixth Floor, 535 West 114th Street,
      New York, NY 10027, or fax to 212-854-1365.

      -------

      Apart from its conference, APHA supports research and scholarship through its journal
      Printing History, publications, an oral history project, and a fellowship program.
      The association, founded in 1974, encourages the preservation of printing artifacts
      and source materials for printing history. Additional information, including a membership
      form, may be found online at www.printinghistory.org